The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

+47
ScarletSpiderman
EST
Captain_Sensible
Anglobraveheart
SirBurger
Manky-Flanker
WhiskyBluff
highland_scot
Heuer27
cp10
Totalflanker
Majestic83
R!skysports
teh_Dingmeister
whocares
cakeordeath
nickj
Tattie Scones RRN
lostinwales
JonnyEdinburgh
RuggerRadge2611
MacKnocked-on
Prothero
Dorothy_Mantooth
TheMildlyFranticLlama
mckay1402
Weegie Wizard
A Simply Mesmeric Try
Argybargy
justified sinner
Imperialbigdave
TJ
alive555
GLove39
VinceWLB
madmaccas
tigertattie
demosthenes
BigGee
IanBru
jimbopip
funnyExiledScot
Nematode
EWT Spoons
RDW
George Carlin
51 posters

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by George Carlin Wed 17 Dec - 7:24

First topic message reminder :

Prehistorical Patter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 Fawlty11
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 Elves10

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 Orc10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

Last edited by George Carlin on Sat 31 Jan - 12:44; edited 6 times in total
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by George Carlin Wed 18 Feb - 14:45

funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
cp10 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:It's quantity rather than quality at Glasgow. Watson, Grant and Blake are better than all of them.

Watson, potentially yes. I am assuming that reference to the other two is what passes as a joke these days at Stockbridge Petanque Club.

The petanque club is in Inverleith not Stockbridge - sheish, get your facts right! boxing
My bad. My membership was withdrawn when they realised that I had fewer than 10 christian names, under 20 domestic servants and my Geneva accounts reported less than 7 figure sums in them. Bloody economic downturn.

We've had a few like that in recent years. Hard to look them in the eye on the way out but don't worry, you'll bounce back. Trickle down economics always prevails eventually (and by that I mean not in anyone's lifetime) and provided you went to the right school and university (only joking, the right school will do), the door is never closed.
To be fair, they did say that they had an opening as a groundsman or commis chef if I was good at plucking game birds.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Feb - 14:46

George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
cp10 wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:It's quantity rather than quality at Glasgow. Watson, Grant and Blake are better than all of them.

Watson, potentially yes. I am assuming that reference to the other two is what passes as a joke these days at Stockbridge Petanque Club.

The petanque club is in Inverleith not Stockbridge - sheish, get your facts right! boxing
My bad. My membership was withdrawn when they realised that I had fewer than 10 christian names, under 20 domestic servants and my Geneva accounts reported less than 7 figure sums in them. Bloody economic downturn.

We've had a few like that in recent years. Hard to look them in the eye on the way out but don't worry, you'll bounce back. Trickle down economics always prevails eventually (and by that I mean not in anyone's lifetime) and provided you went to the right school and university (only joking, the right school will do), the door is never closed.
To be fair, they did say that they had an opening as a groundsman or commis chef if I was good at plucking game birds.

You still need to have gone to the right school.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Wed 18 Feb - 15:33

Favaro should be a decent signing for Glasgow - he seems to suit their style of play well. Also it seems like the SQ SH players need approximately half to 1 full season to fully adjust to NH rugby and be effective at it. Favaro won't have that problem.

Wouldn't be too surprised if we saw Holmes leaving to France and/or another Glasgow back rower moving on. I reckon Eddie might move to the 7s permanently like Shaw which might free up some space.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed 18 Feb - 15:56

Nematode wrote:Favaro should be a decent signing for Glasgow - he seems to suit their style of play well. Also it seems like the SQ SH players need approximately half to 1 full season to fully adjust to NH rugby and be effective at it. Favaro won't have that problem.

Wouldn't be too surprised if we saw Holmes leaving to France and/or another Glasgow back rower moving on. I reckon Eddie might move to the 7s permanently like Shaw which might free up some space.

Holmes is signed to the end of 2016. Would be a shame to lose the physicality of Eddie but if we're overstocked I'd rather lose Fusaro. I know that's unpopular but he's just too small in my book.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by EST Wed 18 Feb - 16:01

Favaro is certainly not a bad player, is he the type of seven that will make a difference in the big European games though?

I agree that Fusaro is probably never going to be a top class player, huge amount of heart but just too small.

EST

Back to top Go down

Post by madmaccas Wed 18 Feb - 16:05

Just looked and Fusaro is also at Scotstoun until May 2016. Eddie's contract is up this May so looks probable that he'll be off. Of course Wilson may be dumped (despite having another year left) due to his conviction.

madmaccas

http://www.scotlandrugbynews.com

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiskyBluff Wed 18 Feb - 16:19

Russel gets a ban?!?!?!?!?!? What the hell is going on!
WhiskyBluff
WhiskyBluff

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiskyBluff Wed 18 Feb - 16:21

http://www.rbs6nations.com/mobile/en/news/27706.php

Absolutely ridiculous
WhiskyBluff
WhiskyBluff

Back to top Go down

Post by VinceWLB Wed 18 Feb - 17:21

I have one little gripe about Fusaro's signing is that i can't help but feel he is a bit injury prone but this is more down to him playing with more heart than most player than him being made of glass.

A real step up on Holmes and Fusaro and the kind of signings Glasgow need to make progress.

VinceWLB

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 18 Feb - 17:49

#JusticeForFinn

That is all.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Feb - 17:56

IanBru wrote:#JusticeForFinn

That is all.

Laugh

I'll get my T-Shirt printed. There's a growing industry of these in Glasgow:

#JusticeForMaxEvans
#JusticeForRyanWilson
#JusticeForRyanGrant
#JusticeForRoryHughes
#JusticeForStuartHogg

Perhaps Ben Atiga could go on hunger strike in protest.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed 18 Feb - 18:11

That is all.
And Free The Brookside Two.
Sorry Bru, that's a cultural reference from the 1980's but Elvis Costello did once shout it out at a gig and had American news networks reporting on it in all seriousness.
Sorry Bru, Elvis Costello...popular chanteur big in the 70's.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Wed 18 Feb - 18:58

jimbopip wrote:

That is all.
And Free The Brookside Two.
Sorry Bru, that's a cultural reference from the 1980's but Elvis Costello did once shout it out at a gig and had American news networks reporting on it in all seriousness.
Sorry Bru, Elvis Costello...popular chanteur big in the 70's.
Actually, I saw this old film called 'Leaving Las Vegas' on Film4 last week, so I know who you're talking about.

Great hair, and killer sunglasses. The rhinestone-trimmed catsuit was a bit louche though.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Wed 18 Feb - 19:18

EST wrote:Favaro is certainly not a bad player, is he the type of seven that will make a difference in the big European games though?

I agree that Fusaro is probably never going to be a top class player, huge amount of heart but just too small.

I see favaro isn't even making the Italy bench which is a bit worrysome

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed 18 Feb - 19:34

To be fair, you can see why they pick 35 year old Birgamasco (sp) instead - he covers 9 as well!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed 18 Feb - 20:48

alive555 wrote:
EST wrote:Favaro is certainly not a bad player, is he the type of seven that will make a difference in the big European games though?

I see favaro isn't even making the Italy bench which is a bit worrysome

Laugh

Zebres have a better open side than the 1872 runners up!

Either that or Italy are consulting Scott Johnson for advice on team selection, which is possible.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Totalflanker Wed 18 Feb - 23:15

See in the last hour or two on the Scarlets forum that rumours of DTH moving seem to be getting stronger - hope not. http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/dth-van-der-merwe_topic40787_page7.html

Totalflanker

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Feb - 6:30

Totalflanker wrote:See in the last hour or two on the Scarlets forum that rumours of DTH moving seem to be getting stronger - hope not. http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/dth-van-der-merwe_topic40787_page7.html
I should go on that forum more - it's hilarious.

Particularly liked:
I like Glasgow, play some good stuff and rarely moan but lets be honest we're both mediocre teams who could easily fall into or out of the top 4 year on year, we've got a better ground and shockingly for once better weather than our rival, Glasgow's a cracking city but we've got the countryside and coast so it's a bit of a 50/50 call for a player.
and
Doesn't like being played at center at Glasgow apparently.

Brilliant. In previous years Glasgow have been 4th, 3rd, runners-up and are currently top of the league. I have, perhaps arrogantly, lost any notion that recently we have been mediocre.

Also perhaps mentioning that when considering the attractions of the Welsh coast, there's this thing called "the Scottish Highlands" just an hour away from Glasgow, which a lot of people think is quite good.

Does rather reinforce the notion that if he DOES go, we'll all be gutted. But how could that happen? The pressure to keep the club's top try scorer must be intense. Nathan Bomrys isn't stupid. To replace him with another winger of comparable quality would cost a fortune and we've already let Maitland go.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by alive555 Thu 19 Feb - 7:55

George Carlin wrote:
Totalflanker wrote:See in the last hour or two on the Scarlets forum that rumours of DTH moving seem to be getting stronger - hope not. http://www.scarletfever.org/forum/dth-van-der-merwe_topic40787_page7.html

Particularly liked:
I like Glasgow, play some good stuff and rarely moan but lets be honest we're both mediocre teams who could easily fall into or out of the top 4 year on year, we've got a better ground and shockingly for once better weather than our rival, Glasgow's a cracking city but we've got the countryside and coast so it's a bit of a 50/50 call for a player.
and

Brilliant. In previous years Glasgow have been 4th, 3rd, runners-up and are currently top of the league. I have, perhaps arrogantly, lost any notion that recently we have been mediocre.

Also perhaps mentioning that when considering the attractions of the Welsh coast, there's this thing called "the Scottish Highlands" just an hour away from Glasgow, which a lot of people think is quite good.

Does rather reinforce the notion that if he DOES go, we'll all be gutted. But how could that happen? The pressure to keep the club's top try scorer must be intense. Nathan Bomrys isn't stupid. To replace him with another winger of comparable quality would cost a fortune and we've already let Maitland go.

Glasgow's a cracking city but we've got the countryside and coast so it's a bit of a 50/50 call for a player ?

Wales isn't bad but frankly but the Highands and the West coast of Scotland is on a totally different stratosphere. talking of chalk and cheese welsh rarebit

alive555

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 19 Feb - 9:45

It's true.

I walked the West Highland Way again last September. As I sat down to eat my lunch on the old road to Glencoe (on a small hill overlooking Loch Tulla), and having not seen a living soul since leaving the hostel that morning, I couldn't help thinking, "Yes, this is very nice, but what about Clerkenhill Adventure Farm in Haverfordwest? It really is a bit of a 50/50 call."
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiskyBluff Thu 19 Feb - 10:05

IanBru wrote:It's true.

I walked the West Highland Way again last September. As I sat down to eat my lunch on the old road to Glencoe (on a small hill overlooking Loch Tulla), and having not seen a living soul since leaving the hostel that morning, I couldn't help thinking, "Yes, this is very nice, but what about Clerkenhill Adventure Farm in Haverfordwest? It really is a bit of a 50/50 call."

Very true indeed. Last time i was drinking in one of the many lovely pubs in the west I found myself thinking this would be much better if all these people weren't notoriously friendly and diverse it would be much better if they were all old welsh miners.
WhiskyBluff
WhiskyBluff

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu 19 Feb - 11:04

It should also be noted that Asbo, bless his little white lines, said that the only time he ever felt he had blundered into a football stadium judging by the unfriendly antagonistic bear-baiting atmosphere by mistake was at Dave Parade. He also felt the surrounding area was, architecturally, very post-war Dresden (I paraphrase greatly) andf when you consider the lean to he dwells in that is saying something. So, yes it really is a 50/50 call.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 19 Feb - 11:30

George Carlin wrote:
Particularly liked:
and

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VI - Banter Boogaloo - Page 17 54900992

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu 19 Feb - 11:53

Only the Welsh could possibly list in the pro sides of things the City of Glasgow - a cracking City and in the cons the West Coast and Highlands of Scotland - not as good as Wales.

If DTH moves to the Scarlets it's a clear step down in rugby terms, that much is clear. Whilst Glasgow is an armpit of a City, it is surrounded by some of the most beautiful countryside on the planet, and the resident sheep are by and large uncompromised, at least until you reach Fort William.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Tattie Scones RRN Thu 19 Feb - 12:17

jimbopip wrote:

It should also be noted that Asbo, bless his little white lines, said that the only time he ever felt he had blundered into a football stadium judging by the unfriendly antagonistic bear-baiting atmosphere by mistake was at Dave Parade. He also felt the surrounding area was, architecturally, very post-war Dresden (I paraphrase greatly) andf when you consider the lean to he dwells in that is saying something. So, yes it really is a 50/50 call.

Jimbo, as someone who resides and works in Newport 4 days a week, I take offence to that comment. There are some nice parts of Newport surround i.e. North Devon and the westbound Severn Bridge.

Tattie Scones RRN

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 19 Feb - 12:32

DTH to Scarlets confirmed. Sad

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Feb - 12:34

Massive blow for Glasgow, especially with Maitland leaving too.

Sadly Glasgow look like they are going to be weaker next season when they really need to be aiming to be stronger.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by ScarletSpiderman Thu 19 Feb - 12:35

Weegie Wizard wrote:DTH to Scarlets confirmed. Sad

We can send up Harry Robinson to you if you want.
ScarletSpiderman
ScarletSpiderman

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 19 Feb - 12:37

This is much, much worse news than Maitland leaving I think.

I can understand if he has asked for loads more cash then the SRU might not want to stretch for a NSQ player but who is there coming through on the wing?

We won't get another NSQ of the same quality so the only options are gambling on Rory Hughes (no thanks) or bringing in a project player/2nd rate SH winger.

As you say, a massive blow.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by Chunky Norwich Thu 19 Feb - 12:38

George Carlin wrote:

Particularly liked:
and

Hope it's still as funny now.

Chunky Norwich

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Thu 19 Feb - 12:39

Of course it's still as funny. It's a plainly retarded thing to say.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 19 Feb - 12:44

Big blow to Glasgow losing DTH but I suspect Townsend will have someone up his sleeve as a replacement. Been impressed by Townsend in his dealings in the transfer market and when its also the right time to let players go as well.

On another note Glasgow have taken Alex Toolis and Fraser McKenzie on loan from Edinburgh for the next few weeks to cover Tim Swinson and Jonny Gray being away.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu 19 Feb - 12:45

RDW_Scotland wrote:Massive blow for Glasgow, especially with Maitland leaving too.

Sadly Glasgow look like they are going to be weaker next season when they really need to be aiming to be stronger.

When Glasgow are trying to maintain their improvement, develop their brand and increase spectator numbers it really doesn't help to lose three of the most important factors in their attacking game; Niko, Maitland and now DTH.
Townsend/SRU are really going to have to recruit well and ambitiously now, they need some wow factor players coming in to excite the fans.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 19 Feb - 12:46

IanBru wrote:Of course it's still as funny. It's a plainly retarded thing to say.

The problem is that we will not be favourites for the top 4 for long at this rate. We have had 3 1st XV players up for renewal this summer and all are leaving.

Favaro is a decent enough player but we need to be bringing in backs of a much higher standard to keep challenging in the Pro12. This is before considering any improvement we need to make in the Heineken.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 19 Feb - 12:48

IanBru wrote:Of course it's still as funny. It's a plainly retarded thing to say.
+1 ^
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Feb - 12:52

So with Maitland and DTH leaving, Lamont likely to retire after the world cup (although he says he'll never retire), that leaves Glasgow with

Tommy Seymour
Lee Jones
Rory Hughes

On the wings.  Wow.

Tell you what though,  if Visser is leaving Edinburgh, and if we sign this massive Fijian as rumoured then we'll have

Will Helu
Massive Fijian
Dougie Fife
Tom Brown
Damien Hoyland
Jamie Farndale

So where is the logic in that from an SRU point of view?

p.s. - hands off the massive Fijian!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Thu 19 Feb - 12:59

That is pretty grim but I'm not sure Massive Fijian fits with our brand of headless frantic lunacy.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Feb - 13:04

What's more ludicrous than a 6ft 4 19st Fijian playing on the wing in Glasgow in the middle of winter?? Shocked

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 19 Feb - 13:11

RDW_Scotland wrote:So with Maitland and DTH leaving, Lamont likely to retire after the world cup (although he says he'll never retire), that leaves Glasgow with

Tommy Seymour
Lee Jones
Rory Hughes

On the wings.  Wow.

Tell you what though,  if Visser is leaving Edinburgh, and if we sign this massive Fijian as rumoured then we'll have

Will Helu
Massive Fijian
Dougie Fife
Tom Brown
Damien Hoyland
Jamie Farndale

So where is the logic in that from an SRU point of view?

p.s. - hands off the massive Fijian!

Think Lamont still has a contract at Glasgow next season as well. For Edinburgh next season I'd like to see the wings being Hoyland and Fife with Brown covering from the bench. Been impressed by Brown this season again and seems to score fairly regularly. Made a big impact when he first made the team at full back and got capped on the wing against Australia but had a v bad case of 2nd season syndrome. Seems to be hitting good form again now, think his best position probably is wing as he doesn't have the biggest boot for full back but he is certainly very good under the high ball.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Feb - 13:12

There must be some method in the madness here, so we better let it all play out and see. I really can't believe that we could not afford to match what the Scarlet's would have offered, they are not Toulon at the end of the day. I can't help but feeling that the world cup may be playing some part in the recruitment strategy here. Had he stayed he would have missed a large chunk of the beginning of the season as well and we are already going to be losing a massive amount of players to the international teams.

Again, we don't know what thee players point of view is as well. He may just feel he needs a change, or does not like being rotated or perhaps wants to play in the centre and not the wing. We will probably never know the answers to these things and I guess we just have to wish him well for the future. He has been a great servant to the club and owes us nothing at the end of the day. I just hope he like sheep!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu 19 Feb - 13:24

I've always wondered whether the comms team 'times' the release of news like this or whether player announcements are dictated by agents and contracts being signed.

In reality I'm sure its a bit of both, but you'd imagine the club would want to follow up a bit of bad news with some good news sharpish...

Whatever the case, its been awfully quiet on the transfer front and that always makes fans nervous.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Feb - 13:26

Well Edinburgh only announced Tom Heathcoat's departure on the bottom of the team sheet they released eariler, even though it has been in the public domain (and announced by Worcester) since earlier in the week.

So there's not a lot they can do about it if other people announce it first.

Historically Edinburgh and Glasgow leave their recruitment announcements quite late - usually they are spread out over the summer.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiskyBluff Thu 19 Feb - 13:29

I'm pretty worried for Glasgow. This won't just have an affect after the players leave but it must be pretty disheartening for the squad having these top players leaving and then having to draft in some Edinburgh players at such a crucial time in the season. I think there needs to be some announcements soon on some top class players coming in.
I just hope there is the funding to get some top players in as Glasgow should easily be able to attract the right talent being top of the league and guaranteed European rugby next season.
I'm also worried performance might drop next season too with such big squad turnover.
WhiskyBluff
WhiskyBluff

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu 19 Feb - 13:41

WhiskyBluff wrote:I'm pretty worried for Glasgow. This won't just have an affect after the players leave but it must be pretty disheartening for the squad having these top players leaving and then having to draft in some Edinburgh players at such a crucial time in the season. I think there needs to be some announcements soon on some top class players coming in.
I just hope there is the funding to get some top players in as Glasgow should easily be able to attract the right talent being top of the league and guaranteed European rugby next season.
I'm also worried performance might drop next season too with such big squad turnover.  

Glasgow are currently the victims of their own success, their squad struggles at the moment are largely down to giving up so many players to the Scotland squad and it may have an impact down the road, especially over WC time. They do have a decent sized squad and Toonie tries to rotate the players to keep them all interested and match fit. Having an even bigger squad will just be more expensive and result in more de=motivated players. Toonie has also been someone who will off load players who are not going to feature, like Downey and Ryder, which is probably good for them, as it gives them the chance to stake a claim somewhere else and probably for the squad, as it removes deadwood. Everyone in it really should feel they have the chance to play.

Loaning players does make sense and it is not the first time it has been done, though it always seems to be from Edinburgh to Glasgow! Again it is good for those players, who might get game time they are clearly not going to get at Edinburgh. I am looking especially forward to seeing the other Toolis, who genetically at least, should be just as good as his brother and certainly deserves the chance to show what he has got. Glasgow and Edinburgh are not competing against each other now, no reason they should not help each other out.

The WC next year is going to make squad selection even harder. It may have been that Glasgowwere just to top heavy with Scottish international players, not all of whom were even getting regular game time. Maybe a bit of subtle re-balancing is taking place here and hopefully some new kids are going to get their chance. There looks some decent prospects in the U20's at the moment.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu 19 Feb - 13:44

What I don't get is that he could have walked into any English team, so why the Scarlets? No disrespect to them, but they are a worse team than Glasgow and might not get Heineken/European rugby next year. No doubt a team like Saracens or Wasps would have been interested in him and would have made a higher offer.

But I can understand if you've lived somewhere for 6 years and want to move on in your life - fair enough.

The Scarlets will have a not too shabby team next year, especially considering they nearly went bust... With L Williams, J Williams, S Williams, SH-Davies, Shingler, Barclay, Lee etc and now DTH.

If Glasgow don't win the Pro12 this year, I think they'll have missed their time. Some big, big signings needed or else Glasgow's rise could just deflate a bit.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 19 Feb - 14:04

Not heard anything concrete but have heard Kieran Low is leaving London Irish at the end of the season and his next destination could be Glasgow!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu 19 Feb - 14:06

He's meant to be signing for Bath from what I heard.

He'd just be another squad player really, but his ability to cover second row and blindside would be handy.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by WhiskyBluff Thu 19 Feb - 14:07

I don't buy the top heavy with internationals stuff i think that has been the success of Glasgow they have had at least 2-3 players of similar standard for almost every position and rotation has worked the past few seasons keeping players interested and signing on again.

Next season they are looking very bare in several positions and i think this year showed that they are in need of a more powerful pack to go anywhere in europe so there is a big mountain to climb in terms of recruitment
WhiskyBluff
WhiskyBluff

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 19 Feb - 14:08

jimbopip wrote:

I lived in Wales for around 18 months, quite close to Newport, and I think ASBO has been too kind.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu 19 Feb - 14:10

I would worry slightly that Glasgow/SRU are unable or unwilling to pay big enough wages to compete with teams elsewhere, does this mean the replacements for Maitland, Niko etc are unlikely to be as exciting as the fans would hope? For example would a Robbie Robinson or a Johnny McNicholl be willing to come to Glasgow for lesser wages than they might get elsewhere? Rugby League players may be affordable as may younger SQ prospects like Blake and Te Rure but do Glasgow have the resources for a marquee signing or two?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next