The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

+49
BamBam
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
Jenifer McLadyboy
sensisball
Heuer27
demosthenes
madmaccas
luvtotup
Anglobraveheart
CraigS1874
SirBurger
21st Century Schizoid Man
highland_scot
nickj
Scottish White Line Fever
cakeordeath
IrnBroon
JonnyEdinburgh
Totalflanker
VinceWLB
Second Ranker
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
A Simply Mesmeric Try
justified sinner
cp10
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
GLove39
R!skysports
tigertattie
BigGee
WhiskyBluff
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
53 posters

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 Moreca10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 Gryffi10   

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 Slythe10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by nickj Thu Mar 19, 2015 12:51 am

MacKnocked-on wrote:
George Carlin wrote:Given that he was drinking buddies with Moses and first saw his team scores on scoreboard using Roman numerals, it is easy to make fun of Solomons but Edinburgh have certainly improved under him and there is no doubt it is because of his influence. He really should stay for another year and I wouldn't be unhappy with a 2 year deal to give him some consistency.

I hope that Omar Mouneimne has sorted out his domestic issues and can come back too.

Has Edinburgh's defence not improved since Omar (the defence coach?) left the club?

I don't think old Omar is coming back. I think he popped up at the Lions a few weeks after he left, now it seems he's going / gone to Lyon.

http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Kings-lose-coach-to-Lyon-20150225

N

nickj

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:09 am

That is strange. If I read that right, it basically says he moved back to SA for personal reasons and now for the same personal reasons is off to France. What kind of personal reasons would require that? I mean if his family didn't want to leave SA so he moved back that makes sense, but to then need to go to Lyon...just seems odd to me.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:12 am

I think personal reasons are often used as a mutually acceptable way of ending a contract but as you say its all a bit odd.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:15 am

Maybe the personal reason is his personality - he was a bit of a feisty character!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:17 am

Edinburgh going to re sign a couple of players this afternoon. Which ones?

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:20 am

I'd like to think he's on the run from one of the following:

- Tax authorities
- The law
- Hitman
- He's in witness protection, very bad witness protection
- His ex wife (no idea if he has one)

Or he fancies a wee holiday to france and will cancel his contract with them in a month or so when he decides to go somewhere else, he's kind of taking a year out and instead of things like bar jobs, he's being a pro rugby coach.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:22 am

nickj wrote:I think personal reasons are often used as a mutually acceptable way of ending a contract but as you say its all a bit odd.  

Mark Annscome left the Blues for personal reasons. Those personal reasons where that none of the players liked him as he made them train to hard!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:29 am

BigGee wrote:Edinburgh going to re sign a couple of players this afternoon. Which ones?

If you actually meant; a couple of Edinburgh players to resign this afternoon. Which ones? Obviously the ones with consciences.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:31 am

Hopefully Matt Scott and Du Preez...

Most likely a couple of youngsters though.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:32 am

EWT Spoons wrote:I'd like to think he's on the run from one of the following:

- Tax authorities
- The law
- Hitman
- He's in witness protection, very bad witness protection Well, he will hang around kebab shops in the early hours of the morning.
- His ex wife (no idea if he has one)

Or he fancies a wee holiday to france and will cancel his contract with them in a month or so when he decides to go somewhere else, he's kind of taking a year out and instead of things like bar jobs, he's being a pro rugby coach.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:41 am

I'm off to noise up the Oirish!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:56 am

EWT Spoons wrote:That is strange.  If I read that right, it basically says he moved back to SA for personal reasons and now for the same personal reasons is off to France.  What kind of personal reasons would require that?  I mean if his family didn't want to leave SA so he moved back that makes sense, but to then need to go to Lyon...just seems odd to me.
D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I have nothing but intuition and a lack of shame to back that up. OK
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:00 am

Whatever the deal with Omar, they seem to be doing just as well (if not better) without him.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 am

Just seen the ER twitter - first it's one player, then two?

Suspect it'll be 1x high profile player and 1x younger.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:01 am

And it's Tonks and Grant - jolly good.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:06 am

Great news on Tonks, surpising news on Grant - I'm sure someone (Maj) said he was moving back to SA? Brilliant to have him staying though - he is the real heart and soul of the team.

With Watson there too it means we really don't need Blake, unless he is content not playing very often..

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:10 am

Well we'd have (6) Du Preez, [Leonardi] (7) Watson, Blake, Grant (8) Denton, Coman

I could see Blake squeezing in, but he's not really set the heather on fire.

I'd rather Edinburgh signed Bordill or Spinks from Glasgow at a cheap price in all honesty. And a good 10.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:12 am

George Carlin wrote:
EWT Spoons wrote:That is strange.  If I read that right, it basically says he moved back to SA for personal reasons and now for the same personal reasons is off to France.  What kind of personal reasons would require that?  I mean if his family didn't want to leave SA so he moved back that makes sense, but to then need to go to Lyon...just seems odd to me.
D-I-V-O-R-C-E

I have nothing but intuition and a lack of shame to back that up. OK

Wow his ex Mrs must have one very good divorce lawyer if he had to leave the country, or for that matter several countries. I mean house, fair enough. All his cash, not ideal but generally happens. The entire sodding country!! Hat's off.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:19 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Great news on Tonks, surpising news on Grant - I'm sure someone (Maj) said he was moving back to SA? Brilliant to have him staying though - he is the real heart and soul of the team.

With Watson there too it means we really don't need Blake, unless he is content not playing very often..

I think there may well be room for both of them. Blake is young and a prospect, RG is needed as it is world cup year and the squad will be light. This may well be his last year with Edinburgh and he will no doubt give it his all, he has been a great player for the club.

Tonks a good player to keep signed up as well, he has got plenty more to give as well.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:24 am

Pleased about Tonks and Grant. Plenty more to come from these guys.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:08 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:An 'update' on the massive Fijian situation:

Edinburgh evening news wrote: Scottish Rugby will be investing heavily in raw potential if an anticipated deal to bring uncapped Fijian winger Taqele Naiyaravoro to BT Murrayfield and qualify him to wear the thistle under a three year residency rule materialises, it was claimed today.

According to reports the 19st and 6ft 5in powerhouse is ready to quit New South Wales Waratahs at the end of the Super 15 season and join Edinburgh for an annual salary of £175,000 – except that a crucial contract clause states that any deal would be nullified if the Wallabies step in and cap him first.

That's a big salary if true!

You'd think, but given my recent house hunting experiences in Edinburgh it seems that is chickenfeed around these parts. I used to think I earned a decent enough salary until I tried to buy a house in Edinburgh!![/quote

I'm sure this sort of money would be more than enough to tempt Warrington to part with Matty Russell and pay him his wages to boot, we would get an instantly SQ player without waiting three years for Tagele to qualify. As rugby league wages aren't large then this amount of money may even be enough to secure more than one SQ player from Super League?

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:11 am

Sorry, cocked up my quotes there somehow. Not trying to put words in your mouth FES.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by highland_scot Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:An 'update' on the massive Fijian situation:

Edinburgh evening news wrote: Scottish Rugby will be investing heavily in raw potential if an anticipated deal to bring uncapped Fijian winger Taqele Naiyaravoro to BT Murrayfield and qualify him to wear the thistle under a three year residency rule materialises, it was claimed today.

According to reports the 19st and 6ft 5in powerhouse is ready to quit New South Wales Waratahs at the end of the Super 15 season and join Edinburgh for an annual salary of £175,000 – except that a crucial contract clause states that any deal would be nullified if the Wallabies step in and cap him first.

That's a big salary if true!

You'd think, but given my recent house hunting experiences in Edinburgh it seems that is chickenfeed around these parts. I used to think I earned a decent enough salary until I tried to buy a house in Edinburgh!!

Tell me about it...

Unless Daddy's hedge fund or the sale of your family heirlooms is paying the deposit, or you have a hedge fund manager's salary, looks like if you want a decent size house it's in some hellhole like Wester Hailes (still not as bad as Glasgow though...), at which point you can't afford life insurance as we are probably above the average life expectancy!

Or there's the ones where they will only accept you if you can't actually afford to pay the mortgage on the place... And they say we have learned from the subprime lending that led us into this mess!

Last edited by highland_scot on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:14 am; edited 1 time in total

highland_scot

Back to top Go down

Post by justified sinner Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:08 am

Good news on Tonks and Roddy, still quite a few out of contract at the end of this season though, so hopefully we can get the likes of Du Preez signed up.

Of course we may well have done so and the marketing people are just doing the drip feed they love 'cos it creates more column inches.

justified sinner

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:48 am

Wow! I'm exhausted reading all the moans from the paddies on the Scotland-Ireland thread!

We havent even beaten them yet and they are greetin!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 21, 2015 12:57 am

tigertattie wrote:Wow! I'm exhausted reading all the moans from the paddies on the Scotland-Ireland thread!

We havent even beaten them yet and they are greetin!

I know! That lot would squabble over anything.

I'm now of the view that matchday squads should be of a number divisible by 4, and that there should be equal representation from Connacht, Ulster, Munster and Leinster.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:00 am

Give them a break guys - it's tough going into the final weekend with only 3 wins and a good chance of winning the championship! Rolling Eyes

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:35 am

BBC gossip column is suggesting Cotter could be offered the Bordeaux job. With Toonie next in line to take over the Scotland role.

Would be strange if Cotter was to leave so soon into the role. Especially having had to wait a year to get him.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:53 am

That would be extremely odd. Bordeaux is surely not a promotion from the Scotland job is it?

What I wouldn't be able to take is another period with Scott Johnson in charge as transition manager. I'd sooner shake a Glaswegian's hand.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:06 am

I would also be very surprised if there is anything in that.

Remember it is a fairly open secret that Vern eventually wants the AB job. If his only attempt at international level is a 12 month stint with us during which he won only a wooden spoon he will be put to the back of the queue.

Plus, Toonie is smart enough to know that the Scotland job is a step down for him.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Sat Mar 21, 2015 2:13 am

Yes, the Toonmeister knows where he is loved. Hug
Besides which, he likes playing in front of noisy, enlightened souls who actually care about the team playing for them.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:50 am

jimbopip wrote:Yes, the Toonmeister knows where he is loved. Hug
Besides which, he likes playing in front of noisy, enlightened souls who actually care about the team playing for them.

Is Toonie still playing?? Granted he'd be better than Weir even now....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Sat Mar 21, 2015 6:56 pm

Is Toonie not being lined up for The Barca wendyball job Shocked Cool Shocked

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:00 am

Look!!! We'd won't win anything when the national team has so many 1872 cup runners up in it!!!!

We need winners. Not those that come second
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:08 am

George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:30 pm

Nasi Manu signs for Edinburgh.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:32 pm

SirBurger wrote:Nasi Manu signs for Edinburgh.

Who/where/what?

Nothing on the Twitter feed but when you start typing it into Google it suggests 'Nasi Manu Glasgow'

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Highlanders Number 8 and Captain. Signed for next season - announced on their twitter feed.

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by SirBurger Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:36 pm

Ps. Top top signing

SirBurger

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:37 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
SirBurger wrote:Nasi Manu signs for Edinburgh.

Who/where/what?

Highlanders vice captain. Huge ball carrier and puts in some huge hits in defence, not always legal. He is a pretty good player.

Would think Leonardi must be off at the end of the season.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Excellent - sounds like a good signing! 50 SR caps and co-captain at the Highlanders - exactly the calibre we need.

Only 27 too.

We're not too bad at 6/8, but he sounds like he's got good pedigree.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:40 pm

And. most importantly, he's coming after the SR season so will be available for the start of next season.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:41 pm

Probably going to be missing Denton for a large chunk of the season so he will be a good addition.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:43 pm

What positions need strengthening most at edinburgh and areas for clear outs too?
Hopefully we will see a few younger guys getting more game time like dean, Bradbury, Ritchie, Hoyland.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:47 pm

Here's the only video I could find - it is from when he was at highschool, but I like him already!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRQW-pGMFJU

As for where we need strengthened, we're generally OK for squad depth in most positions, but it is quality we are lacking - so ideally we can get rid of some of the dead wood and bring in some decent players.

Manu for Leonardi looks like it will be a step up in quality, although it will mean less gametime for Bradbury, which is a shame.

We're likely to be missing our entire starting front row for the world cup, so another tighthead would be useful (something every team wants though)

We really need a decent 13 - Mrs Doubtfire can play there, so he could be an option

With Hart going to the Weedge and Kennedy long term injured we need another 9

So again the focus needs to be on quality not quantity.

Tell you what, we really could be fielding a monstrous team next season!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:49 pm

Who is Mrs doubtfire?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:50 pm

Will Helu!

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 14leab

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:51 pm

Agree squad needs a few quality signings and a few of the journeymen to be let go. I'd let leonardi, hilterbrand, bezzy Carl, atiga, Strauss and Dominguez all go, possibly McLennan too but haven't really seen him play.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:52 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:Will Helu!

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 5 14leab

thumbsup

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:54 pm

Majestic83 wrote:Agree squad needs a few quality signings and a few of the journeymen to be let go. I'd let leonardi, hilterbrand, bezzy Carl, atiga, Strauss and Dominguez all go, possibly McLennan too but haven't really seen him play.

They can certainly all be binned.

Chris Dean and Chris Auld look promising in the centres, but they are about half the size of the massive Fijian winger we're meant to be signing so probably don't meet Solomons' minimum weight limit!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 21 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 13 ... 21  Next