The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

+49
BamBam
IanBru
InjuredYetAgain
lostinwales
TJ
Mad for Chelsea
Notch
Tattie Scones RRN
Jenifer McLadyboy
sensisball
Heuer27
demosthenes
madmaccas
luvtotup
Anglobraveheart
CraigS1874
SirBurger
21st Century Schizoid Man
highland_scot
nickj
Scottish White Line Fever
cakeordeath
IrnBroon
JonnyEdinburgh
Totalflanker
VinceWLB
Second Ranker
RuggerRadge2611
Weegie Wizard
Manky-Flanker
des
Majestic83
TheMildlyFranticLlama
Imperialbigdave
A Simply Mesmeric Try
justified sinner
cp10
MacKnocked-on
Nematode
jimbopip
EWT Spoons
GLove39
R!skysports
tigertattie
BigGee
WhiskyBluff
funnyExiledScot
RDW
George Carlin
53 posters

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 18 Empty Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by George Carlin Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Ye Olde Banter:
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 18 Moreca10
https://www.606v2.com/t48240-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread
https://www.606v2.com/t51313-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-ii
https://www.606v2.com/t53119-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iii
https://www.606v2.com/t54519-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-iv
https://www.606v2.com/t55409-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-v-the-fun-continues
https://www.606v2.com/t56913p950-glasgow-and-edinburgh-ongoing-banter-thread-vi-banter-boogaloo

A. Edinburgh
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 18 Gryffi10   

1. League Results

Fri 5 Sep: Munster Rugby 13 - 14 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 12 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 13 - 14 Connacht Rugby

Sun 21 Sep: Ospreys 62 - 13 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 26 Sep: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 20 Scarlets

Fri 3 Oct: Ulster Rugby 30 - 0 Edinburgh Rugby

Sat 11 Oct: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 10 Newport Gwent Dragons

Fri 31 Oct: Leinster Rugby 33 - 8 Edinburgh Rugby

Sun 23 Nov: Edinburgh Rugby 28 - 13 Cardiff Blues

Sat 29 Nov: Zebre 18 - 10 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 19 Dec: Edinburgh Rugby 48 - 0 Benetton Treviso

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby - 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Connacht Rugby 13 - 16 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 13 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 24 - 16 Ospreys

Fri 20 Feb: Edinburgh Rugby 17 - 20 Ulster Rugby

Sun 1 Mar: Cardiff Blues 21 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

2. European Results

17/10/14: Bordeaux-Begles 13 - 15 Edinburgh Rugby

24/10/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 17 Lyon

7/12/14: Edinburgh Rugby 25 - 13 London Welsh

14/12/14: London Welsh 6 - 24 Edinburgh Rugby

17/01/2015: Lyon 21 - 19 Edinburgh Rugby

23/01/2015: Edinburgh Rugby 38 - 20 Bordeaux-Begles

B. Glasgow
Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 18 Slythe10

1. League Results

Sat 6 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 20 Leinster Rugby

Sun 14 Sep: Cardiff Blues 12 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 20 Sep: Newport Gwent Dragons 13 - 33 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 26 Sep: Glasgow Warriors 39 - 21 Connacht Rugby

Sun 5 Oct: Benetton Treviso 23 - 40 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 11 Oct: Ulster Rugby 29 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 31 Oct: Glasgow Warriors 17 - 9 Benetton Treviso

Fri 21 Nov: Scarlets 19 - 9 Glasgow Warriors

Sun 30 Nov: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 15 Newport Gwent Dragons

Sat 20 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 18 Munster Rugby

Sat 27 Dec: Glasgow Warriors 16 - 6 Edinburgh Rugby

Fri 2 Jan: Edinburgh Rugby 20 - 8 Glasgow Warriors

Fri 9 Jan: Glasgow Warriors 22 - 7 Scarlets

Sun 15 Feb: Zebre 10 - 54 Glasgow Warriors

Sat 21 Feb: Glasgow Warriors 19 - 16 Ospreys

Sat 28 Feb: Munster Rugby 22 - 10 Glasgow Warriors

2. European Results

18/10/14: Glasgow Warriors 37 - 10 Bath Rugby

25/10/14: Montpellier 13 - 15 Glasgow Warriors

7/12/14: Toulouse 19 - 11 Glasgow Warriors

13/12/14: Glasgow Warriors 9 - 12 Toulouse

18/01/2015: Glasgow Warriors 21 - 10 Montpellier

25/01/2015: Bath Rugby 20 - 15 Glasgow Warriors
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 18 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:19 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Agree with the comments so far - don't see why we're targeting a 24 year old Ulsterman when we have several young Scottish wingers chomping at the bit to play.

Purely looking at him as a player though, he has played for Ulster a few times and looks to have serious gas and a decent step

Skip to 1 minute on this one

The exact same qualities that Farndale, Hoyland, Robbins, Norville, Nairn etc all have!
There are plenty of good quality wingers who are Scottish or Scottish qualified that would be better signed, someone like Mike Doneghan at London Scottish is a cracking player!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII  - Page 18 Empty Re: Glasgow and Edinburgh: Ongoing Banter Thread VII

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:20 am

I'm not denying that, just saying that as a player he looks to be fairly decent. i.e. he's no Mike Penn.

Just trying to put a positive spin on things...!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 123456789 Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:25 am

This is absurd, firstly the game's soul is in the clubs, everyone leaves school whereas a club is for life, why cut down the playing time of the youngest players? Also what's the punishment for playing club rugby if you're at one of the top schools?
I don't see the issue of encouraging as many players to play as much rugby as possible and then choosing the academy players through scouting and trials. I played for a fairly decent rugby school in England but the standard and camaraderie of club rugby was so much better. I played for the club from the age of 4, and by time I stopped youth rugby I'd played for 10 years with most of them.
Also when they finish school Scottish rugby will lose them, we'll lose a lot of late developers that way. I still don't see how cutting down on rugby playing time will aid the national rugby team. I get the idea of tiers and hopefully leagues within that because I think a lot of the times that Scotland don't convert in the 22 is because the players had it easy in their development, up to that stage we match them but it's in the red zone we struggle and that's because the others grew up with those moments of pressure.

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:29 am

They are maybe trying to encourage closer links between clubs and schools, so that the clubs can snap up all the players when they are done playing for their school.

This is particularity true in state schools where they often rely on teachers doing the coaching. My club for example provides coaches for all the school teams, so we do have the link even though they aren't playing for the 'club' teams. There aren't the school teachers willing to do the coaching for free.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:29 am

WRT the Irish winger, it'll be a disgrace if those suggested intentions are true. There's plenty of young Scottish talent that should be given the opportunity now, not just randomly give it to someone who hasn't even got a sniff of the Irish squad. If he's not being considered by them, and at 24, he's no spring chicken, then we shouldn't be chasing him ahead of our own.
All the clips show is that he can catch (just) and comllete a 22m clear run in, and on the other, that he can side step a very gangly flat footed winger/second row. Both scores against the mighty Treviso.........
On a positive note, the ability to catch places him well ahead in skill set of the multi capped NDL.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:30 am

Edinburgh are not quite as well stocked on the wing department as you might think.

Hoyland certainly should be looking to step up and challenge next year but Farndale, after his brilliant debut in the U20's a few years back has really not pushed on and may be fact struggle to be retained.

Robbins is only 18 and is still a good few years away from making the grade, he is genuinely fast speedster, but not an over developed one and will need to be conditioned into a professional rugby player, which takes time.

Dougie Fife really has not had that great a season, for Edinburgh or Scotland and needs to step up next year as a senior player. Tom Brown has not really pushed on either and is really just a squad player. Will Helu looks like a decent player, but could easily end up playing at 13 given Edinburgh's lack of resources there.

Remember the last winger Scottish rugby picked up from Ulster was Tommy Seymour and he did not turn out so badly, despite a few people questioning it at the time!

Glasgow seem to manage to rotate their wingers around successfully and keep them all fresh and hungry. The lesson from this year for Edinburgh is surely that they need more depth in the squad. This guy is ready to play, needs no development, he just needs the opportunity he was not getting at Ulster. He may or may not go on to play for Scotland, but if he does, I am sure he will have earnt his place, as Seymour did!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:31 am

The difference with Seymour was that he is SQ!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:35 am

There are 2 different issues here I think.

The first is how to get the boys showing early promise to develop into better rugby players. This new structure clearly helps as long as those kids are in the top 2 tiers. They will be playing rugby against better players more regularly so will develop quicker and hopefully more. If the talented kid plays for a tier 3 school it might help as long as there is extra investment in coacing in these schools and commitment from the schools to let kids have time away from class to play rugby. There is no word on funding here - and it needs to be SRU finding as schools are skint enough as it is - and the buy in from the schools will probably be patchy.

The second issue is to keep those players, like me alas, who are not going to reach pro rugby level interested in playing rugby socially. This will clearly damage that as lots of folk will leave school with no or little emotional ties to the club in their area. They will probably still have played there while at primary school but it won't be the same. It is difficult to see how a lot of clubs will have the player numbers to field any more that a 1st XV in a few years time.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:36 am

Allen is principally a centre by training, according to the boys on the Ulster boards and so I presume he is being signed as utility cover generally. If it's him instead of Strauss I will be thrilled.

Ulster rate him v highly incidentally - he just happened to be stuck behind Bowe, Gilroy, Payne and Olding, which is not really his fault.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:50 am

So is that fifth choice at Ulster, or fifth choice for Ireland? Doesn't fill me with much enthusiasm either way.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2015 11:53 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:The difference with Seymour was that he is SQ!

Having him available for three years without any international call ups is not necessarily a bad thing.

Seymour was SQ, but did not look anything like an international player in the making when he first arrived, he only blossomed over a couple of years when given some game time. The same may be the case here.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Anglobraveheart Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:26 pm

Appreciate the Seymour point, but he was at least SQ. The original raising of the topic was that the Irish fella was hinted as a NSQ project player, which for me is wrong. Why invest 3 years in a NSQ possible international who will be 27 at qualification stage, when the same time and money could be spent on promising SQ youngsters who will be between 21 and 24 after the three years. Makes no sense.

If however, he a signing to bolster Edinburgh as a squad player and international window cover, then that does make sense, and is an entirely different proposition. Especially with Scott's injury record.

Anglobraveheart

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Apr 14, 2015 12:56 pm

If the SRU are willing to invest three years waiting on finding out if a NSQ player is good enough to play for Scotland or not then why not take a chance on some SQ League player? I've mentioned Matty Russell several times before (got to be a serious SRU target), but what about the Huddersfield centre Joe Wardle for example? He's young (24) so plenty of time to contribute to Union if he adapts well. We all know what an impact Alan Tait had on his return to union from league, more of the same wouldn't go amiss.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:15 pm

I'm yet to be convinced that league converts are worth the effort.

Look at Sam Burgess - one of the best players around in rugby league, almost a season on and he is no more than an average union player.

He may come good, but it certainly takes time!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:16 pm

So true - Matty Russell is right at the top of my list of targets. Even playing for London Scottish would be a forward step in this regard.

I have to admit that to not really being a fan of Rugby League when growing up - the tackling was dangerous, the kicking was aimless, and the only highlight was watching a guy appear to hump the ground while a commentator shouted about (I think) a problem at the local steel production facility. Further my views of the Scottish League structure were not great. A buddy of mine played for the Scotland Universities League team because, and I swear this is true, his name began with 'Mac', despite being as English as Stuart Pearce's cooked breakfast!

All that changed when I watched the last League World Cup. There are some real prospects in the Scotland League team, and while they all have Northern or Antipodean accents, they clearly see themselves as Scottish (I recommend anyone to watch the video of them singing Flower of Scotland when they found out they'd qualified for the quarter finals. Awesome stuff).

If they see their future in league, fair enough, but it should be made clear to the best of them that a pro contract in Union would be on the cards if they were interested.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:17 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:If the SRU are willing to invest three years waiting on finding out if a NSQ player is good enough to play for Scotland or not then why not take a chance on some SQ League player? I've mentioned Matty Russell several times before (got to be a serious SRU target), but what about the Huddersfield centre Joe Wardle for example? He's young (24) so plenty of time to contribute to Union if he adapts well. We all know what an impact Alan Tait had on his return to union from league, more of the same wouldn't go amiss.  

Agreed plenty of Scottish talent out there that could be brought in ahead of a NSQ player.
They need to back some of the home grown players and give them games to develop instead of looking for a "quick fix"

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:19 pm

IanBru wrote:So true - Matty Russell is right at the top of my list of targets. Even playing for London Scottish would be a forward step in this regard.

I have to admit that to not really being a fan of Rugby League when growing up - the tackling was dangerous, the kicking was aimless, and the only highlight was watching a guy appear to hump the ground while a commentator shouted about (I think) a problem at the local steel production facility. Further my views of the Scottish League structure were not great. A buddy of mine played for the Scotland Universities League team because, and I swear this is true, his name began with 'Mac', despite being as English as Stuart Pearce's cooked breakfast!

All that changed when I watched the last League World Cup. There are some real prospects in the Scotland League team, and while they all have Northern or Antipodean accents, they clearly see themselves as Scottish (I recommend anyone to watch the video of them singing Flower of Scotland when they found out they'd qualified for the quarter finals. Awesome stuff).

If they see their future in league, fair enough, but it should be made clear to the best of them that a pro contract in Union would be on the cards if they were interested.

There is a lot of talented players in the Scotland league team, some with very good backgrounds in Union as well. There are a number of the Aussie contingent playing for Scotland at league who have had very good junior representative careers in Union but chose league because there is a better chance of a contract out in Australia.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by IanBru Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:20 pm

Fair point about Burgess, but I think it's the process, the timeframe and the ridiculous expectations that are the problem, and not the player.

If he had two years to grow into Union, find his natural position, and learn the skills, I have no doubt that he'd be a fantastic player for Bath and England. The fact that they think they'll need him for the World Cup (and the messianic cult perpetuated by the media) is placing unfair expectations on him.
IanBru
IanBru

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:27 pm

IanBru wrote:Fair point about Burgess, but I think it's the process, the timeframe and the ridiculous expectations that are the problem, and not the player.

If he had two years to grow into Union, find his natural position, and learn the skills, I have no doubt that he'd be a fantastic player for Bath and England. The fact that they think they'll need him for the World Cup (and the messianic cult perpetuated by the media) is placing unfair expectations on him.

I actually think that Russell, being a winger/fullback, would probably make a better convert to union than Burgess has. One of the other wingers in the Scotland league team is Oscar Thomas who was with London Irish in union for a spell before going to league.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:28 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm yet to be convinced that league converts are worth the effort.

Look at Sam Burgess - one of the best players around in rugby league, almost a season on and he is no more than an average union player.

I have to disagree, I think some of the league converts that have come across to play Union have been very good. More have succeeded than failed over the years.

As I have said a lot of the league players playing for Scotland have Union back grounds from their juniors careers so that transition would not be as big as someone like Burgess who had no union background.

I agree it does take time for some of them to adapt but in the end guys like Matty Russell, Kane Linnett would be great additions.

At the end of the day are Scottish fans going to be happy with us going in for easy fixes and poaching players from other nations like this guy from Ireland or would they prefer a team with players Scotland have developed?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:31 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:I'm yet to be convinced that league converts are worth the effort.

I have to disagree, I think some of the league converts that have come across to play Union have been very good. More have succeeded than failed over the years.

Genuine question - who are you referring to here? There have certainly been some underwhelming big name players over the years - Burgess, Joel Tompkins, Andy Farrell etc.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:42 pm

From the top of my head the ones I can think of are Matt Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Wendall Saillor, Berrick Barnes, Chris Ashton, Ryan Cross, Steve Myler, Jason Robinson, Brad Thorn, Andrew Walker, Sonny Bill Williams, Fabrice Estebanez. There are some who have crossed over and failed but often its because they have been expected to come in and be superstars straight away and haven't given it long enough.

I think its unfair to put Burgess in the failed bracket just yet. He hasn't put in the superstar performances like he did in League but he has played well and it will take time.
Farrell as well, he wasn't the super star player he was in league but he wasn't that bad a union player and did help England get to a world cup final!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:42 pm

Perhaps the most successful League convert was the great SQ winger Jason Robinson...

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:45 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Perhaps the most successful League convert was the great SQ winger Jason Robinson...

Don't if any one watched the sporting talk programme with him on ITV4 last week. During it he said he was basically brought up as a Scotsman.
Yet another clanger by the SRU not getting him on board!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:48 pm

Majestic83 wrote:From the top of my head the ones I can think of are Matt Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Wendall Saillor, Berrick Barnes, Chris Ashton, Ryan Cross, Steve Myler, Jason Robinson, Brad Thorn, Andrew Walker, Sonny Bill Williams, Fabrice Estebanez. There are some who have crossed over and failed but often its because they have been expected to come in and be superstars straight away and haven't given it long enough.

Most of those are absolute superstars though who have played in very talented and successful teams - that would surely help the transition. A few of them made the switch when they were quite young too.

There is a big difference from Tuiqiri playing for a very strong Wallabies team and putting a good (but not great) league player in a team like Edinburgh or Glasgow - we would have to put a lot of effort in with no guaranteed reward. Joel Tomkins is probably the most prime example of the kind of play we'd be able to get and he's not had the best of experience.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Tue Apr 14, 2015 1:55 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:From the top of my head the ones I can think of are Matt Rogers, Lote Tuqiri, Wendall Saillor, Berrick Barnes, Chris Ashton, Ryan Cross, Steve Myler, Jason Robinson, Brad Thorn, Andrew Walker, Sonny Bill Williams, Fabrice Estebanez. There are some who have crossed over and failed but often its because they have been expected to come in and be superstars straight away and haven't given it long enough.

Most of those are absolute superstars though who have played in very talented and successful teams - that would surely help the transition. A few of them made the switch when they were quite young too.

There is a big difference from Tuiqiri playing for a very strong Wallabies team and putting a good (but not great) league player in a team like Edinburgh or Glasgow - we would have to put a lot of effort in with no guaranteed reward. Joel Tomkins is probably the most prime example of the kind of play we'd be able to get and he's not had the best of experience.

At the time though Tuquiri was playing for a pretty poor Waratahs team in Super rugby when he first made the switch. He had to work hard to get his spot in the team and it wasn't an instant thing.

Yes the clubs and SRU would have to put in a lot of effort with no guarantees but its the exact same bringing in some NSQ player and getting them to do 3 years, there is no guarantees that they are going to work either!

What would you suggest is a good way to go for Edinburgh and Scotland?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:03 pm

Sounds obvious, but I think an important part of the recruitment policies of Glasgow and Edinburgh is to find players who excite the paying fan who turns up to watch the matches. I feel that a league convert such as Russell would have much more potential interest to fans than some unknown 3-year-project player from another Pro12 team.

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:05 pm

Majestic83 wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:

At the time though Tuquiri was playing for a pretty poor Waratahs team in Super rugby when he first made the switch. He had to work hard to get his spot in the team and it wasn't an instant thing.

Yes the clubs and SRU would have to put in a lot of effort with no guarantees but its the exact same bringing in some NSQ player and getting them to do 3 years, there is no guarantees that they are going to work either!

What would you suggest is a good way to go for Edinburgh and Scotland?

Don't get me wrong I'm not disagreeing with you and saying it would be a stupid idea to target RL players, I just don't see it being a panacea to cure all our problems and we need to temper our enthusiasm of the prospect of what the likes of Matty Russell could achieve for us.

If this Ulster winger was being touted for Glasgow I don't think it would have been met with as much debate - Glasgow are mainly SQ and he'd be a direct (yet inferior) replacement for a departing NSQ player in DTH. Glasgow also don't have an abundance of young Scottish wingers.

But as it is he looks to be coming to Edinburgh - high on the NSQ count and would get in the way of the development of some promising youngsters, and also Damien Hoyland whose time has surely come. He's not a youngster any more - time to make the step up.

As BigGee says though we need more than promising youngsters over the length of the season, and the likes of Helu may end up playing 13. So as it stands Edinburgh could do with another winger with Visser leaving. Whether it is right to be NSQ player is what's causing all this debate!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:08 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:Sounds obvious, but I think an important part of the recruitment policies of Glasgow and Edinburgh is to find players who excite the paying fan who turns up to watch the matches. I feel that a league convert such as Russell would have much more potential interest to fans than some unknown 3-year-project player from another Pro12 team.  

To be fair would the average rugby fan have a clue who Matt Russell is? I would class myself as an avid rugby fan but if I didn't come on here I would never have heard of him!

The massive Fijian would get a lot more publicity given his expposure in SR just now.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by nickj Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:13 pm

I'd agree with that. I'd also add and I know its not v PC to say it, but personally, I find a Brough, a Thomas or a Wardle easier to 'accept' and 'take to heart' than a Te Rure, a Bezuidenhout or a  Du Preez. The fact that they've represented Scotland in another code only adds to their appeal. I say that as a firm believer in the merits of a limited number of project players and the plan for broadening our player base.

nickj

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Anglobraveheart wrote:Appreciate the Seymour point, but he was at least SQ. The original raising of the topic was that the Irish fella was hinted as a NSQ project player, which for me is wrong. Why invest 3 years in a NSQ possible international who will be 27 at qualification stage, when the same time and money could be spent on promising SQ youngsters who will be between 21 and 24 after the three years. Makes no sense.

If however, he a signing to bolster Edinburgh as a squad player and international window cover, then that does make sense, and is an entirely different proposition. Especially with Scott's injury record.

I suspect this is likely to be the latter rather than the former. The papers and whoever has leaked it are likely talking it up. Atis stage of his career he should only be thinking of establishing as a decent player and getting some starts. International honours are still a long way off.

The SRU don't go for that many genuine project players. The proof of the pudding, if he signs, will be in the length of the contract.

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by MacKnocked-on Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:26 pm

This is the next player rumoured to be lined up for the Scotland Rugby League team; Australian fullback Lachlan Coote, how to turn pretty physical defence in to attack: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gw-o3PuIQ4

MacKnocked-on

Back to top Go down

Post by Manky-Flanker Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:49 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:This is the next player rumoured to be lined up for the Scotland Rugby League team; Australian fullback Lachlan Coote, how to turn pretty physical defence in to attack:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gw-o3PuIQ4

Not surprising given that Scotland have made it into the 4 nations competition this year for the first time. The stronger they can make the squad the better given the heavier weights they'll be going up against (OZ, NZ and Eng)

Manky-Flanker

Back to top Go down

Post by Nematode Tue Apr 14, 2015 2:58 pm

MacKnocked-on wrote:This is the next player rumoured to be lined up for the Scotland Rugby League team; Australian fullback Lachlan Coote, how to turn pretty physical defence in to attack:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gw-o3PuIQ4

Or get a yellow card in union...

Look, there are young, talented SQ players on the books of Glasgow and Edinburgh. For instance, Magnus Bradbury, Chris Auld, Damien Hoyland and Jamie Farndale are all in the same age group and are probably able to play against the likes of Zebre, Treviso and maybe Dragons, currently. Let's give them a shot, blood them into the team, instead of just importing mediocre talent.

Also, this whole 3 year residency rule is turning into a shambles. It should really only be for special talent like Nakarawa or Josh Strauss.

Nematode

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:27 pm

The residency thing is nowhere near as bad as everyone suggests.

From the Warriors squad only Cusack and Strauss (8) are in that category and I don't think Coo was ever viewed as a 'project' player. At Edinburgh, the situation is a bit different but we are only talking about Nel & Du Preez. Even with DP I'm not sure if he was project or if Solly just needed a back row tough guy and he used to coach him at the Kings.

The reason folk get so worked up about residency is they group in the Scottish granny brigade, of which there are loads, but I have much less problem with signing them (provided they are half decent).

Guys like Strauss (12) and Coman are not project players. They were signed because AS thought Edinburgh were in serious need of numbers and they have mostly done a job for you. Once Bradbury, Ritchie, Dean etc start breaking into the team these guys will move on somewhere else. AS has spent the last couple of years saying that was the whole point in bringing them in.

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by EWT Spoons Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:39 pm

Think we need to keep in mind the signing of Allan is just rumours at this stage, unless I’ve missed something, it’s not been confirmed.

Also if we do sign him, I would hope it’s at centre rather than wing (apparently he fancies a wee go in the middle). We currently have a number of NSQ centres in Strauss, Burleigh, Beard, Dominguez (is he still with us?) and not a whole lot of Scottish players (Dean, Auld & Scott). Of the NSQ centres, not sure how many of them are contracted past the summer and whilst I have nothing against some of them, I would rather we replaced them with this lad than pad out the wings further.

Of the NSQ players:

Strauss – Attacking vacuum. Can defend, but not really the player you want setting up attacks. But I suspect he’ll be here next season
Burleigh – Think there was always talk of him playing at 10 for us. With heathcote moving on it only leaves Tonks, Bezy (out of contract, as far as I know) and Mclennan who can play 10. A move over could be on the cards for him. (I’ve left out Te Rure for RDW’s sake)
Beard – Decent player.
Dominguez – I can’t actually recall him playing this season, could be my old age though.
Helu can also play centre and wing, but we’ll have to wait and see with him.

So he could yet me coming to us to replace one of the lads mentioned above and not to block the path of Hoyland and co. Granted Auld and Dean could be given a shot, but they are both still pretty young and as Matt Scott is working his way through his Panini sticker album of sporting injuries, there should still be opportunities for these lads to come into the side.

EWT Spoons

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2015 4:52 pm

As I said earlier, Edinburgh are not over run with decent backs and they need a squad, not just a team. A squad that can step up when needed and will give the coach some genuine selection headaches. Some of the kids are not getting game time because they are not ready, Dean, Ritchie and Hoyland probably come into that category, some because they may not be good enough, Farndale is sailing perilously close to that position.

Others squad players such as Bezzy and Dominguez clearly are not being looked at as serious propositions any more and surely will be gone at the end of the season.

The one who does look ready and good enough is Bradbury, who surely would probably play this weekend with the injuries, except I don't think he is in the European squad!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by BigGee Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:12 pm

I see all Scotland shirts are now going to be sponsored by BT as well, a three year deal taking over from RBS.

A good blue chip sponsor, in a deal that should be worth a few quid, though probably tied up in the deal with the naming rights of the stadium.

Whatever else they are getting up to at the SRU, they certainly seem to have got the commercial side of things a lot better sorted. All we really need is for Scotland to win a few games and we will be laughing!

BigGee
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by InjuredYetAgain Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:51 pm

BigGee wrote:I see all Scotland shirts are now going to be sponsored by BT as well, a three year deal taking over from RBS.

A good blue chip sponsor, in a deal that should be worth a few quid, though probably tied up in the deal with the naming rights of the stadium.

Whatever else they are getting up to at the SRU, they certainly seem to have got the commercial side of things a lot better sorted. All we really need is for Scotland to win a few games and we will be laughing!
Good news. On moral grounds, I couldn't bring myself to buy a Scotland top with my ex-employer's name across the front of it.
Back to possible signings, with some of the names being thrown around, we appear to be forgetting that we (Edinburgh and Scotland) are gash and we probably aren't inundated with good players wanting to play for us

InjuredYetAgain

Back to top Go down

Post by Weegie Wizard Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:21 am

I see a lot of comparisons between being a Scotland supporter and what is looks like to be an Edinburgh fan. Plenty of signs of progress and a batch of promising young players and you've recently at last appointed a decent coach.

Warriors are much more like the All Blacks Run

Weegie Wizard

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:29 am

Like the All Blacks, only better.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Apr 15, 2015 9:45 am

funnyExiledScot wrote:Like the All Blacks, only better.....

coz the All Blacks don't have Ayr players!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:14 am

tigertattie wrote:

The All Blacks have never been fortunate enough to play on the hallowed turf of Firhill either.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 15, 2015 11:16 am

tigertattie wrote:

Nobody's perfect, Tattie. Nobody's perfect.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:02 pm

George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

My Mum says I am!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:07 pm

tigertattie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

My Mum says I am!
That's funny. She also says I'm perfect. Wink
Run
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 15, 2015 1:08 pm

George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:
George Carlin wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

My Mum says I am!
That's funny. She also says I'm perfect. Wink
Run

That's also funny, because she says I'm perfect too!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:11 pm

you lot are dirty dirty boys!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:12 pm

tigertattie wrote:you lot are dirty dirty boys!

She also told me that! Laugh

Sorry, too far!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:23 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:
tigertattie wrote:you lot are dirty dirty boys!

She also told me that! Laugh

Sorry, too far!

I wondered which of you would be first to come back Rolling Eyes

Anyway! Back to the rugby....................

............... A red crayon, a Minion and Batman walk into a bar.............
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 21 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next