The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

+47
St John The Enforcer
Standulstermen
Taylorman
Brendan
eirebilly
Geen sport voor watjes
Pot Hale
formerly known as Sam
wolfball
doctor_grey
brennomac
Redman
Maine man
Kingshu
Golden
Collapse2005
rodders
SecretFly
geoff999rugby
Intotouch
mikey_dragon
theslosty
thebandwagonsociety
carpet baboon
Artful_Dodger
The Great Aukster
Engine#4
toml
BigGee
whocares
Sin é
Pete330v2
the-goon
rapidsnowman
LeinsterFan4life
asoreleftshoulder
VinceWLB
Marshes
No 7&1/2
BamBam
LordDowlais
RDW
marty2086
aucklandlaurie
Rory_Gallagher
Don Alfonso
profitius
51 posters

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next

Go down

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2 - Page 8 Empty Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

Post by profitius Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:16 pm

First topic message reminder :

Continued from this one. https://www.606v2.com/t63658-irish-provinces-news-gossip-thread-2016-17

profitius
profitius

Back to top Go down

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

Post by Pot Hale Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:30 pm

Collapse2005 wrote:Larmour was excellent for Ireland school boys and for St Andrews in schools rugby. He has been on the radar for some time now due to his under age performances. He is also a very good hockey player.

He has already spent time in Ireland camps having been personally invited by Schmidt.

There are some really good young backs coming through, Sweetnam, Larmour, Carbery and Stockdale are three of the most exciting.

You obviously went to the same school as me where attention to detail in Maths was optional...
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2 - Page 8 Empty Re: Irish provinces NEWS and GOSSIP thread part 2

Post by brennomac Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:37 pm

Geen sport voor watjes wrote:Muldoon is the form 8. But nobody looks at him cos he is too old. The best compliment I can give him is that he is very like Anthony Foley in how he plays the game.

Muldoon is going to be playing against us on Jan 1 and will be up to all of his tricks, but God I love the guy, he's an absolute inspiration for Connacht. Mightn't have been totally kosher but the way he bullshitted that ref in the wasps game in the ERC to allow a kick to the corner after the 80 minutes was a joy (unless you're a wasps fan). When Mul eventually hangs up his boots, a career in forwards coaching surely follows

brennomac

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:05 am

Should the IRFU create a national academy structure rather than have four provincial ones? It would link in with the four provinces but players would be centralized in a national pool and perhaps create a better spread of talent coming through across the four. It might help develop players for use at school level, and age-grade teams for 18/19/20 year olds. It could help with development of women’s rugby and sevens.
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Dec 29, 2017 2:40 am

Pot Hale wrote:Should the IRFU create a national academy structure rather than have four provincial ones?  It would link in with the four provinces but players would be centralized in a national pool and perhaps create a better spread of talent coming through across the four.  It might help develop players for use at school level, and age-grade teams for 18/19/20 year olds.  It could help with development of women’s rugby and sevens.  

There used to be a national academy initially and it didn't work. I think it could create problems in trying to hold onto players in the Provinces. Many of the players will stay in Ireland because they grew up wanting to play for their Province - i.e., Peter O'Mahoney grew up wanting to play for Munster. If he ended up playing for Ulster because they needed backrows, how long would he be able to resist the alure of moving abroad for the big money.

The Provinces are fairly unique in this aspect of loyalty - only other club I see it at is the Crusaders whose players seem to be mainly one club players (maybe finishing off their careers in Japan or Europe). Look at the Welsh clubs - their players move around a lot and hasn't helped with developing each club's identity.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:03 am

Sin é,

I remember 3 years ago getting very upset about JJ leaving Munster. I understood he was going to leave but I really thought more should have been done to keep him in Ireland. For me, him going to Connacht to form a partnership with Marmion was the best option. Allowing him to go to Saints stumped his progress in my opinion.

Now he is back at Munster, he is behind Bleyendaal and Keatley so is again not being utilised properly. Is he not better moving to Ulster (where they have a shortage) to further his career? He left Ireland to get more game time but he would surely get more game time at Ulster right now.

Options like this (and there are many) should be considered to not only help player development but Ireland strength in depth.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:24 pm

eirebilly wrote:Sin é,

I remember 3 years ago getting very upset about JJ leaving Munster. I understood he was going to leave but I really thought more should have been done to keep him in Ireland. For me, him going to Connacht to form a partnership with Marmion was the best option. Allowing him to go to Saints stumped his progress in my opinion.

Now he is back at Munster, he is behind Bleyendaal and Keatley so is again not being utilised properly. Is he not better moving to Ulster (where they have a shortage) to further his career? He left Ireland to get more game time but he would surely get more game time at Ulster right now.

Options like this (and there are many) should be considered to not only help player development but Ireland strength in depth.
\

JJ left because he was offered a wad of money and which meant he could come back to Munster after his 2 year stint & 400K (which is exactly what happened). If he had gone to Connacht, he probably wouldn't get the opportunity to come back to Munster. JJ is needed in Munster now because of injuries to Tyler. If he can't get past Keatley, he won't be much use to Ireland.

Zebo will be back in 2 years time to Munster (or whenever his contract with Racing is up). If he had gone through a national academy system, he probably wouldn't have the bond he has with Munster.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:17 pm

3 years ago, JJ was one of the hottest prospects in Ireland. More should have been done to keep him, regardless of the money offered. I do honestly feel he regressed whilst he was at the Saints.

He has come back to Munster as 3rd choice 10 and utility back. He is not going to get ahead of Keatley right now as Keatley is playing well, I agree but with more game time (maybe at Ulster) he will realise that potential he had again.

Munster do not really need him as Scannell is a more than capable 10 in his own right.

I think you put too much emphasis on the 'Munster through and through' players. Yes there are a few (POM prime example) but there are players who are not. JJ left for money and game time.

I honestly feel he would be well suited to go to Ulster.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Fri Dec 29, 2017 7:22 pm

Awful news, but David Nicofora's 21 daughter died just before Christmas in Australia. May she rest in peace

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:49 am

Gee that is terrible.

Some great quality on show over the last few weeks in the interpros, unfortunately very little of it by Ulster.

Larmour is a real star, he reminds me of Christian Cullen the way he can accelerate and step off both feet, he made a complete mug out of Stockdale at the weekend. It's early days but he looks something special at a time when Ireland have incredible talent in the backs.

Leinster and Connacht are playing exceptional rugby at the minute, with Munster not too far behind. Ulster are embarrassing right now but from an Irish perspective there are a lot of things to be excited about.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:58 pm

Anyone know who Ulster have signed at 10?

I have heard Stephen Donald and Giteau mentioned.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by rodders Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:11 pm

It's Stephen Giteau.
rodders
rodders

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:34 pm

Ha rodders

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Mon Jan 08, 2018 3:53 pm

I want it to be Giteau. But think it will be Donald
In my dreams it on Lima Sapoanga*

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:13 pm

Well, it looks like the Saffers are getting their own back for Munster taking all their players. They have now recruited the Munster head of S&C, Aled Walters Smile

Thats three coaching staff in the last year gone to the Boks.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:58 pm

Sin é wrote:Well, it looks like the Saffers are getting their own back for Munster taking all their players. They have now recruited the Munster head of S&C, Aled Walters Smile

Thats three coaching staff in the last year gone to the Boks.

All part of the de-Safferisation programme.  Even though he’s Welsh.  Soon there’ll only be Stander, Cloete, Kleyn, Taute, Grobler left.....
Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Tue Jan 09, 2018 9:41 pm

I wish the Saffers would raid Ulster and take back the inadequates we have

vDM, Diack, Deysel and to brutal honest the permanent sick note Coetzee

We had a rich vain with Muller and his recommendations - Pienaer, Wannenburg and Terblanche
but other than that we have signed some really duff Saffers

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:52 am

I see Stephen Donald is going to be announced by Ulster shortly. Good signing?

I think its decent.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Given where we are and the requirement 4 months as good as we could expect

The long term signings in the summer will be the big ones

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by thebandwagonsociety Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:12 pm

When they were looking and got Christian in for the short period were they working to the expectation that PJ would be through his case as innocent and be able to bring him back into the fold? Or is that still the expectation.

Stephen Donald, how much extra cash has he managed to get by being the last available outhalf to come off a bench and get the ball over the bar in the rwc final.

thebandwagonsociety

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:31 pm

thebandwagonsociety wrote:When they were looking and got Christian in for the short period were they working to the expectation that PJ would be through his case as innocent and be able to bring him back into the fold? Or is that still the expectation.

Stephen Donald, how much extra cash has he managed to get by being the last available outhalf to come off a bench and get the ball over the bar in the rwc final.

I reckon Donald is better than that. He got 25 caps for the ABs after all. He was the fall guy for a last minute loss v Australia in HK and his rep scarcely recovered. He isn't bad though.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:01 pm

We've got another Saffer Very Happy

18 year old 118Kg TH prop into the Munster Academy called Keynan Knox.

http://www.the42.ie/munster-keynan-knox-academy-tighthead-3788843-Jan2018/
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:13 pm

Sin é wrote:We've got another Saffer Very Happy

18 year old 118Kg TH prop into the Munster Academy called  Keynan Knox.

Yep. The Northern Territories Capital of South Africa has officially moved from Belfast to Limerick. I wonder how Saffers pronounce Fush and chups.... Whistle

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by carpet baboon Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:10 am

Just read that Felix jones turned down a job with SA.

carpet baboon

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 10:39 am

What are the Leinster and Munster NIQ set up looking like for next year

Ulster have Coetzee, vDM and Deysel
All 3 should be under reviewed because not one of the players is both fit and good enough

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu Jan 11, 2018 11:57 am

carpet baboon wrote:Just read that Felix jones turned down a job with SA.

Madness, why would you turn a job with the Boks down in favour of staying in Munster.

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:13 pm

Limerick or Cape Town
Wind/showers or Sunshine

Decisions, decisions !

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:43 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:Limerick or Cape Town
Wind/showers or Sunshine

Decisions, decisions !

Funny that so many Saffers over the years have easily chosen the wind/showers.  I guess 'exotic' is in the eye of the beholder.  What lovely warm white sand and sun is to us, hard, biting ice winds and unending rain is to them.

Did someone say: "It's money wot done it!"?   Well I never! Shocked

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Collapse2005 Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:07 pm

The Saffers in Ulster love the religious elements to living in Ulster. Its like a Christian Disneyland for them.

Ruan Piennar for example is the founder of a Bible study group for rugby players in South Africa.

He is quoted as having said things like:

“I have always believed, with my Christianity, that there’s so much more to life than rugby,” and “Being here gives me an enormous sense of purpose. I am not just here for rugby, I’m here to touch lives.”

http://www.eden.co.uk/blog/sport/five-top-players-on-gods-rugby-squad-p11248

Collapse2005

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:15 pm

Well of the current crop I'd prefer that some were lesser Christians and better rugby players
By and large a mediocre bunch, of Saffer born players  Rolling Eyes

NIQ - Coetzee, Deysel, Van De Merwe

IQ - Diack, Herbst, Herron, Ludik

Given Coetzee is a permanent sick note the rest don't exactly get the excitement juices going.
Ludik and Herbst the only ones worth keeping

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:14 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:What are the Leinster and Munster NIQ set up looking like for next year

All 3 should be under reviewed because not one of the players is both fit and good enough

I think Munster have only one NIQ - Jaco Taute. (Player who can't be capped as he has been capped for SA).

PS - Rassie seemingly tried to recruit Felix Jones as Skills Coach for the Boks, but he is staying with Munster. Seemingly SA is going to play a game against Munster.

Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by marty2086 Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:27 pm

Sin é wrote:
geoff999rugby wrote:What are the Leinster and Munster NIQ set up looking like for next year

I think Munster have only one NIQ - Jaco Taute. (Player who can't be capped as he has been capped for SA).

PS - Rassie seemingly tried to recruit Felix Jones as Skills Coach for the Boks, but he is staying with Munster. Seemingly SA is going to play a game against Munster.

Cloete, Kleyn and Marshall are all NIQ too, they may be IQ one day but aren't next season

marty2086

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete330v2 Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:53 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Cloete, Kleyn and Marshall are all NIQ too, they may be IQ one day but aren't next season

As you're only allowed one project then only one of them can or are Munster allowed 3 projects? Smile

Pete330v2

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:17 pm

marty2086 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

Thats why I said that Jaco is the only one who has been capped by another country, so technically everyone is a project in Munster!
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by Sin é Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:19 pm

Pete330v2 wrote:
marty2086 wrote:
Sin é wrote:

As you're only allowed one project then only one of them can or are Munster allowed 3 projects? Smile

I'd say it was grab all you can and get them resident in Ireland before the 3 year residency rule changes to 5.
Sin é
Sin é

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:32 pm

When does that change btw?

At what point (year or month) does an incoming player change from the three year ruling to the five year? I'm not up to date on the particulars of that one.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Pot Hale Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:50 pm

It seems to be Two young SA players into Munster Academy - Kenyan Knox and Matt Moore - what’s going on there?

Surely Irish rugby does not need to be bringing in foreign-born players this young? These guys arrived late 2017 so they’ll meet the ‘old’ 3-year residency requirement.

Pot Hale
Pot Hale

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:06 pm

SecretFly wrote:When does that change btw?

At what point (year or month) does an incoming player change from the three year ruling to the five year?  I'm not up to date on the particulars of that one.

It already has

1st January 2018

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:15 pm

Pot Hale wrote:

It seems to be Two young SA players into Munster Academy - Kenyan Knox and Matt Moore - what’s going on there?

Surely Irish rugby does not need to be bringing in foreign-born players this young?  These guys arrived late 2017 so they’ll meet the ‘old’ 3-year residency requirement.  

You've answered your own question - these players have been brought in so young in order to avoid a 5 year residency requirement

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:16 pm

So what are Leinster looking like for NIE and NIQ for 17/18

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:31 pm

geoff999rugby wrote:
SecretFly wrote:When does that change btw?

At what point (year or month) does an incoming player change from the three year ruling to the five year?  I'm not up to date on the particulars of that one.

It already has

1st January 2018

So any new bloods from now on will automatically now be on 5 years?  I seem to have thought it might have been a summer start thing (end of season stuff).  
So anyway, the five years starting point seems to be shifted to the academies so?

When things settle down, that won't go down so well at all.... not with the young Irish hopefuls, not with us, not with the media and not when the risks of taking/buying in academy players proves at least sometimes that it hasn't worked and the players chosen aren't good enough by the time their five year point is reached.  

Five years is obviously much more of a gamble on quality and if the system keeps shooting blanks, then it'll be tough to keep sanctioning the casino's licence.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by geoff999rugby Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:56 pm

Starts 1st January 2020 when, supposedly, the whole of the world rugby calendar has been sorted out
post the WC.
You sign 31st December 2017 - 3 years
You sign 1st January 2018 - 5 years

Remember it may be our end of season but it is in the middle of the SH season.

Having just posted that I am doubting myself but given it came in this year I suppose they have allowed any signings in 2017 dispensation to be 3 not 5 years even though
they become eligible after the 1st January 2020 start date

geoff999rugby

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:10 pm

On to Munster now after Leinster's very impressive win over Glasgow.

Racing will be up for this and will be very difficult at home. Munster must gain parity in the set pieces (especially the line out) in order to compete with them I feel.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:14 pm

Zebo has to blast 'em into Schmidtereens to show them what they are getting. Over to you Simon.

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:19 pm

Munster being pinged for offside twice and yet Racing are allowed to enter at the side...

Very strong side and already have their first try, could be a long day for Munster.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:24 pm

Is it just me or are Munster getting pinged off the field so far?

I am not sure that their discipline has been that bad and the ref cannot seemingly see Racing at all...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:26 pm

One is home and one is away? Against away is where the penalties stray?

Blimey! Poetry!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Munster win a penalty Shocked
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:33 pm

Murray makes a half break, Cloete taken out off the ball. Result, Murray isolated and penalty to Racing...
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:44 pm

Oooh Zebo, that was a dive. Don't like to see that.
eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eirebilly Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:58 pm

Stupid from POM, the ref is obviously a homer so don't back chat. Unfair as the decision may be, back chatting is not going to change his mind.

eirebilly
eirebilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 20 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14 ... 20  Next