The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+22
No name Bertie
MrInvisible
Pr4wn
the-goon
Derek Smalls
dummy_half
Mind the windows Tino.
JuliusHMarx
king_carlos
JDizzle
superflyweight
Luckless Pedestrian
Pebbles
Soul Requiem
mountain man
TRUSSMAN66
Samo
lostinwales
Lowlandbrit
GSC
navyblueshorts
Duty281
26 posters

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next

Go down

Political round up............. - Page 9 Empty Political round up.............

Post by Duty281 Fri Mar 01, 2024 7:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Astonishing win in terms of margin. I was surprised that the ex-Labour candidate polled as low as 8%, but I guess word spread about his removal and he was viewed, effectively, as another independent.

Even if he wasn't removed, I think Galloway still wins, so it was a stroke of luck for Starmer in that he can ignore this defeat.

I thought Galloway would be out when the GE rolls around; now I'm not 100% sure. The issue of Gaza is hurting Labour amongst its once almost guaranteed Muslim vote.

I think this result shows that an Islamic party, if led by a brilliant campaigner, is a very viable option for the future. They could stand in areas where the Muslim population is relatively high and maybe win a couple of dozen seats at a GE, being similar to the SNP in terms of insurgency.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 9 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:13 pm

Give Farage credit....Had nearly a thousand people in a hall in Clacton to hear him speak and spoke continuously for 30 minutes without autocue to a standing ovation at the end.......Not that I watched it all..

Can't see the lightweight leaders of the two main parties doing that....They get Starmer to speak when it is last orders in the bar.

Staggered if he doesn't win Clacton comfortably......

Interesting seat...Rochdale...........Labour 8/15.....Galloway 9/5.......Going to be tight.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 9 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by the-goon Wed Jun 19, 2024 12:44 pm

I would enjoy Farage and Galloway as MPs. It would add a bit of spice to it all.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:13 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Give Farage credit....Had nearly a thousand people in a hall in Clacton to hear him speak and spoke continuously for 30 minutes without autocue to a standing ovation at the end.......Not that I watched it all..

Can't see the lightweight leaders of the two main parties doing that....They get Starmer to speak when it is last orders in the bar.

Staggered if he doesn't win Clacton comfortably......

Interesting seat...Rochdale...........Labour 8/15.....Galloway 9/5.......Going to be tight.

Yep. Our Nige going out there for us again. What a lad.

He should win Clacton, but every trick in the book will be thrown at him - some legal, some not, some immoral, some dubious etc. Just like South Thanet in 2015.

Probably good odds on Galloway. He's winning the Muslim vote and it's not as if there's going to be much appetite to keep the Tories out in Rochdale, because they know the Tories won't win in Rochdale and they know the Tories are done for nationally.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

the-goon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 19, 2024 1:56 pm

Nigel Farage is on course to win the Clacton by-election with the biggest swing in modern electoral history, a new poll has suggested.

A Survation poll commissioned by Arron Banks, a former Ukip donor, suggested Farage will win 42% of the vote in Clacton with the Tories on 27% and Labour on 24%.

Survation said the scale of the projected swing from the Tories to Reform would be 'extremely rare' and 'unprecedented in modern electoral history'.

And YouGov are releasing their second MRP at 17:00 today.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:15 pm

I'm enjoying how even the politics thread on 606v2 reads like subreddit for gambling tips.

king_carlos

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 19, 2024 3:42 pm

king_carlos wrote:I'm enjoying how even the politics thread on 606v2 reads like subreddit for gambling tips.

There probably is some money to be made, but good luck finding it*. These MRPs are running contrary to the bookmakers in dozens of seats. If they're right, could be quids in.

*Labour to win most seats at 1/100 is probably a good thing.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:01 pm

YouGov's MRP

Labour: 425
Conservative: 108
Lib Dem: 67
SNP: 20
Reform UK: 5
Plaid: 4
Green: 2

Labour up by 3 since their last MRP (last week of May), Tories down by 32, LDs up by 19, SNP up by 3, Reform up by 5.

Reform forecast to win:

Clacton, Great Yarmouth (5/2 for Reform to win), Louth and Horncastle (12/1), Ashfield, and Basildon and Billericay (9/1). Seems a bit more realistic, I guess. Running the opposition close in Barnsley North, Skegness, and Havant (25/1!)

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:25 pm

king_carlos wrote:I'm enjoying how even the politics thread on 606v2 reads like subreddit for gambling tips.

I'd say it reads more like a bunch of Twitter bots agreeing with one another. No substantial discussion at all. Just polls and betting odds.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:32 pm

To be fair it's not a massively intriguing election. Labour will have a massive majority, the Tories are getting turfed out. The only real question mark is how much inroads reform can make into the remaining Tory seats
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Wed Jun 19, 2024 5:49 pm

Pr4wn wrote:

I'd say it reads more like a bunch of Twitter bots agreeing with one another. No substantial discussion at all. Just polls and betting odds.

You should treat the posters you have left on here with more respect.. Hug

Yougov MRP...

South Holland and The Deepings

Con 32
Ref 31
Lab 29

South Holland is the safest Tory seat in the Country..

There is a peoplepolling survey out that has Reform 9 points ahead of the Tories......For what it is worth.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:10 pm

That poll is unhinged.

Labour 35%; Reform 24%; Tories 15%. Goodness!

What gives it some credibility is their last poll put Reform at 17%, and this was broadly in line with quite a few other polling companies at the time. So they're not quite Rasmussen in the credibility stakes, but it's most definitely an outlier for now. They have been polling Labour consistently lower than other companies, so that can certainly be ignored.

A poll from Norstat - Lab 40%; Tories 20%; Reform 19%. Reform have worked their way up from 14% a couple of weeks ago with this polling company.

The polling averages overall seemingly putting Labour in the low 40s, Tories in the high teens/low 20s, Reform around 15-19%, LDs barely moving at 10-12%, Greens 5-7%. Reform the only ones with upward momentum; Labour having a slight dip, but nothing out of the ordinary; and the Tories still sinking.

Only another two weeks...

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:09 pm

The more it seems unlikely Biden will make it to November...The more we are seeing of rancid old hag Clinton putting herself about....

I know that she is probably bored idling about, while her deviant Husband is probably screwing everything that moves..

But please no...

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:23 pm

Pretty incredible that the Tories campaign director using insider knowledge to bet on election dates might not be in the top 3 Frak they've made in this campaign
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:36 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:The more it seems unlikely Biden will make it to November...The more we are seeing of rancid old hag Clinton putting herself about....

I know that she is probably bored idling about, while her deviant Husband is probably screwing everything that moves..

But please no...

Who else is there?

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Thu Jun 20, 2024 12:37 pm

GSC wrote:Pretty incredible that the Tories campaign director using insider knowledge to bet on election dates might not be in the top 3 Frak they've made in this campaign

Zero seats. It's happening.

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu Jun 20, 2024 1:36 pm

The mad part is they called this election. Someone seriously thought people would like Sunak the more they saw him.

It's a bunch of political lightweights massively over promoted because all the big beasts are long gone. They're gonna be left with someone like Kemi Badenoch and 50 MPs.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 20, 2024 2:46 pm

GSC wrote:Pretty incredible that the Tories campaign director using insider knowledge to bet on election dates might not be in the top 3 Frak they've made in this campaign

It's ridiculous. People make insider bets all the time (including journalists). Now it's a problem?!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by dummy_half Thu Jun 20, 2024 3:53 pm

GSC wrote:The mad part is they called this election. Someone seriously thought people would like Sunak the more they saw him.

It's a bunch of political lightweights massively over promoted because all the big beasts are long gone. They're gonna be left with someone like Kemi Badenoch and 50 MPs.

They saw the unemployment figures and where inflation was going and hoped it would create a bit of 'feel good'. The problem is that while prices and interest rates have stopped climbing, the increased cost of everything is still in the system and wages haven't adjusted to keep pace with these risen costs. Not sure that waiting 6 months would have made significant difference but there might have been a couple of interest rate cuts and other stuff that could really be spun as the economy turning the corner.

dummy_half

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu Jun 20, 2024 7:23 pm

Duty281 wrote:Nice poll that one for Reform. Level with the Tories for the first time with Redfield and likely to overtake them with the manifesto bounce.

Indeed that's what has happened. Redfield's latest poll puts Reform at 19%, ahead of the Tories on 18%. Labour on 42%.

Also, BMG. Their last poll had the Tories 7% ahead of Reform; today's released poll puts the Tories and Reform level on 19%, with Labour 42%.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:27 am

https://x.com/supertanskiii/status/1803909097567453417?t=tM9F6q6jcj_a0XawiDPBBw&s=19

Again incredible people thought we would like him the more we saw him
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Requiem Fri Jun 21, 2024 8:55 am

GSC wrote:The mad part is they called this election. Someone seriously thought people would like Sunak the more they saw him.

What was the alternative, wait 6 months for the sake of it?

Soul Requiem

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Fri Jun 21, 2024 9:45 am

The alternative was some kind of coherent strategy. They called it early because they thought they had something compelling and it's been a complete disaster
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by TRUSSMAN66 Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:20 pm

Rochdale (electoral calc)

Galloway 31
Labour....21
Reform...20

Galloway has done a lot of campaigning and he thinks from his results that Reform are his main challenger.....Interesting because it is an expected Labour gain.

TRUSSMAN66

Back to top Go down

Post by MrInvisible Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:46 pm

Any results on election night that people are particularly looking out for?

I am really hoping Farage (and the equally unpleasant Lee Anderson) are unsuccessful in attempt to become an MP. Why? Because I really want this election to draw a line under this era of hard right dominated politics in UK which started with Cameron caving in and promising the EU referendum. The Conservatives have been pulled to the right, under successive leaders, ever since, culminating in the appalling Rwanda deportation policy, the inhumane Bibby Stockholm boat and all the other nastiness. If the Lib Dems can pick up a few seats and have a strong voice on human rights then they can also help moderate Labour if they get tempted to pander to the xenophobes whilst in power.

Oh, and I'll also be rooting for Corbyn to win - one of the few genuinely principled MPs out there not compromised by lobbyists, he's been treated appallingly, a scapegoat to satisfy the media that 'Labour has changed', and the Commons is a better place with him there (whatever his shortcomings were as Labour leader).

MrInvisible

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:48 pm

Mostly how many cabinet members get turfed out
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by king_carlos Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:02 pm

Wasn't there a poll that showed Rees-Mogg as under threat? That'd be fun.

king_carlos

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:08 pm

TRUSSMAN66 wrote:Rochdale (electoral calc)

Galloway 31
Labour....21
Reform...20

Galloway has done a lot of campaigning and he thinks from his results that Reform are his main challenger.....Interesting because it is an expected Labour gain.

That seat's a mess. Could go to any of those three. A Galloway/Labour even split could let Reform in.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:12 pm

MrInvisible wrote:Any results on election night that people are particularly looking out for?

I am really hoping Farage (and the equally unpleasant Lee Anderson) are unsuccessful in attempt to become an MP.  Why?  Because I really want this election to draw a line under this era of hard right dominated politics in UK which started with Cameron caving in and promising the EU referendum.  The Conservatives have been pulled to the right, under successive leaders, ever since, culminating in the appalling Rwanda deportation policy, the inhumane Bibby Stockholm boat and all the other nastiness.  If the Lib Dems can pick up a few seats and have a strong voice on human rights then they can also help moderate Labour if they get tempted to pander to the xenophobes whilst in power.

Oh, and I'll also be rooting for Corbyn to win - one of the few genuinely principled MPs out there not compromised by lobbyists, he's been treated appallingly, a scapegoat to satisfy the media that 'Labour has changed', and the Commons is a better place with him there (whatever his shortcomings were as Labour leader).

Hard right dominated? Erm

Immigration at its highest levels in UK history, tax burden at the highest since the 1940s, the size of the state expanding, interventionist policies etc. all indicate we're nowhere near any hard right era.

I wonder what you'd think if we had an actual right wing government in place.

Duty281

the-goon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Sun Jun 23, 2024 6:16 pm

king_carlos wrote:Wasn't there a poll that showed Rees-Mogg as under threat? That'd be fun.

More than under threat, he's likely lost. He's got a newly named constituency after the boundaries were redrawn, North East Somerset and Hanham, and Labour are 1/5 to take it.

YouGov's MRP put him 6% behind. Ipsos 18%. Survation 14%. But More in Common saying he'll win, narrowly, but their polling has produced higher numbers for the Tories than the other polling agencies (but maybe they're a lone voice that is right, like Survation in 2017).

Duty281

navyblueshorts and king_carlos like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Sun Jun 23, 2024 7:43 pm

Another day, another list of offensive remarks by Reform candidates.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon Jun 24, 2024 7:57 am

MrInvisible wrote:Any results on election night that people are particularly looking out for?

I am really hoping Farage (and the equally unpleasant Lee Anderson) are unsuccessful in attempt to become an MP.  Why?  Because I really want this election to draw a line under this era of hard right dominated politics in UK which started with Cameron caving in and promising the EU referendum.  The Conservatives have been pulled to the right, under successive leaders, ever since, culminating in the appalling Rwanda deportation policy, the inhumane Bibby Stockholm boat and all the other nastiness.  If the Lib Dems can pick up a few seats and have a strong voice on human rights then they can also help moderate Labour if they get tempted to pander to the xenophobes whilst in power.

Hard right. Laugh Laugh Laugh

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:00 am

Samo wrote:Another day, another list of offensive remarks by Reform candidates.

Any statements untrue? Or are you simply pearl clutching?

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:07 am

the-goon wrote:

I dunno, maybe the guy who claimed he was running a parody account
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pebbles Mon Jun 24, 2024 9:43 am

Wait, are there actual people who really think Reform are a force for good????

I thought it was just the grifters on Twitter being amplified by repurposed Russian sex bots that came out with that stuff

Pebbles

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:18 am

I'm sure there are people who think reform are a force for good.

Most of them in Putin's cabinet
GSC
GSC

Pebbles likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:44 am

GSC wrote:I'm sure there are people who think reform are a force for good.

Quite: The Five Questions Nigel Farage is Never Asked About Brexit, Trump and Russia
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:17 am

the-goon wrote:

Do you agree its acceptable to describe someone as a "black bint"?

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:30 am

navyblueshorts wrote:

Quite: The Five Questions Nigel Farage is Never Asked About Brexit, Trump and Russia

Ah it's like we are back in 2016.

Election didn't go your way?

Was it your policies? Was it your track record of failure? Was your condescending dismissal of the wants/needs of the ppl? Did you not call them racist enough times?

No no no. It was RUSSIA!!!

Does someone not subscribe to your woke, liberal worldview?

That's not someone who simply sees the world differently. it's an agent of Putin! Why honestly analyse their position and yours, when you can simply smear them as a bad person, call yourself a good person and continue with your day!

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by the-goon Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:32 am

Samo wrote:
the-goon wrote:

If it's good enough for a labour candidate, why not reform?

the-goon

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Mon Jun 24, 2024 11:34 am

the-goon wrote:
Samo wrote:
the-goon wrote:

Whataboutery. Pretty much what I expected. Have a good day mate.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:08 pm

the-goon wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Was it your policies? Was it your track record of failure? Was your condescending dismissal of the wants/needs of the ppl? Did you not call them racist enough times?

That's not someone who simply sees the world differently. it's an agent of Putin! Why honestly analyse their position and yours, when you can simply smear them as a bad person, call yourself a good person and continue with your day!
Cool. Avoid all the points made in the article, and evidence of association w/ Putin and his goons.

It's pertinent now, because of Farage's recent remarks re. Putin and Ukraine. And it's a matter of fact that there was campaign illegality etc re. funding of the two Leave campaigns.

I don't expect you to either listen, or to consider that your position might need to be a bit more circumspect in light of facts you'd rather not consider.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:10 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:

Come on, Navy, let's hear the full conspiracy theory.

I've just read one that claimed Farage worked in Estonia in the early 1990s, where he eventually met Putin and apparently there's a picture of the two of them together (though it doesn't exist anymore), and this is where they concocted an evil scheme and got rich. The evidence for this was sadly all destroyed in a fire in 1996, but the person writing all this has 'a source', so that's a relief.

That's a belter of a conspiracy. But I think you can top it!

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:12 pm

the-goon wrote:
Samo wrote:
the-goon wrote:

There's no law that says person A can't offend person B, but I would kind of hope that this information was public where person A is standing for election. It now is, so that's all good. The electorate can decide whether they want that sort of person in any sort of representative role that influences them.

Labour's recent record of suspending candidates how've broken their Party rules suggests that there might not be so much in this as you'd like to have us believe. In the case of Reform, I think their track record, and that of Farage etc, suggests they're quite happy to have that sort of detritus in their midst.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:15 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

I've just read one that claimed Farage worked in Estonia in the early 1990s, where he eventually met Putin and apparently there's a picture of the two of them together (though it doesn't exist anymore), and this is where they concocted an evil scheme and got rich. The evidence for this was sadly all destroyed in a fire in 1996, but the person writing all this has 'a source', so that's a relief.

Zzzzzzzzz......
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
the-goon wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Cool. Avoid all the points made in the article, and evidence of association w/ Putin and his goons.

It's pertinent now, because of Farage's recent remarks re. Putin and Ukraine. And it's a matter of fact that there was campaign illegality etc re. funding of the two Leave campaigns.

I don't expect you to either listen, or to consider that your position might need to be a bit more circumspect in light of facts you'd rather not consider.

Both Vote Leave and Leave.EU had minor overspends, this is true, but as I pointed out in another post, the Remain campaign still dwarfed Leave's spending by several million. Also worth noting that Vote Leave only overspent because they were given incorrect advice from the Electoral Commission (confirmed in the High Court).

And worth remembering that the official Remain campaign and the Lib Dems were also in breach for not filing accurate spending returns and were fined accordingly.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jun 24, 2024 12:16 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Zzzzzzzzz......

No answer? Shame. Damn the Russians!

Duty281

the-goon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:31 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Zzzzzzzzz......

It's a matter of record that Russia has interfered, and is interfering, in our democracy. It's a matter of record what Farage has recently said about Russia and Putin. Don't you think it might just be worth digging into that relationship a little bit more, especially as Farage is standing to be an MP?
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:39 pm

Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
the-goon wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Both Vote Leave and Leave.EU had minor overspends, this is true, but as I pointed out in another post, the Remain campaign still dwarfed Leave's spending by several million. Also worth noting that Vote Leave only overspent because they were given incorrect advice from the Electoral Commission (confirmed in the High Court).

And worth remembering that the official Remain campaign and the Lib Dems were also in breach for not filing accurate spending returns and were fined accordingly.
Shhh. Don't mention Darren Grimes....
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:46 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
the-goon wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Shhh. Don't mention Darren Grimes....

He was exonerated on appeal, what has he got to do with this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49048431

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Mon Jun 24, 2024 1:50 pm

navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:
Duty281 wrote:
navyblueshorts wrote:

Zzzzzzzzz......

It's a matter of record that Russia has interfered, and is interfering, in our democracy. It's a matter of record what Farage has recently said about Russia and Putin. Don't you think it might just be worth digging into that relationship a little bit more, especially as Farage is standing to be an MP?

I imagine numerous countries are interfering in our democracy.

It is indeed a matter of record what Farage has said: "I am not and never have been an apologist or supporter of Putin. His invasion of Ukraine was immoral, outrageous and indefensible. As a champion of national sovereignty, I believe that Putin was entirely wrong to invade the sovereign nation of Ukraine. Nobody can fairly accuse me of being an appeaser. I have never sought to justify Putin’s invasion in any way and I’m not now."

What I'm trying to get at is what you're alleging/have suspicions of and what your evidence is for those allegations/suspicions.

Duty281

the-goon likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 9 of 19 Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14 ... 19  Next