The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Political round up.............

+22
No name Bertie
MrInvisible
Pr4wn
the-goon
Derek Smalls
dummy_half
Mind the windows Tino.
JuliusHMarx
king_carlos
JDizzle
superflyweight
Luckless Pedestrian
Pebbles
Soul Requiem
mountain man
TRUSSMAN66
Samo
lostinwales
Lowlandbrit
GSC
navyblueshorts
Duty281
26 posters

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

Political round up............. - Page 17 Empty Political round up.............

Post by Duty281 Fri 01 Mar 2024, 7:58 am

First topic message reminder :

Astonishing win in terms of margin. I was surprised that the ex-Labour candidate polled as low as 8%, but I guess word spread about his removal and he was viewed, effectively, as another independent.

Even if he wasn't removed, I think Galloway still wins, so it was a stroke of luck for Starmer in that he can ignore this defeat.

I thought Galloway would be out when the GE rolls around; now I'm not 100% sure. The issue of Gaza is hurting Labour amongst its once almost guaranteed Muslim vote.

I think this result shows that an Islamic party, if led by a brilliant campaigner, is a very viable option for the future. They could stand in areas where the Muslim population is relatively high and maybe win a couple of dozen seats at a GE, being similar to the SNP in terms of insurgency.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

navyblueshorts likes this post

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 17 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:56 am

Pretty inevitable MM. Most of the people involved aren't really hard-line for the cause, more just bored. Once the initial rush of adrenaline wears off and people are visibly being punished, it was gonna die down.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Political round up............. - Page 17 Empty Re: Political round up.............

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:00 am

Believe the met police chief said something like 70% of those charged already had a criminal record. So, yeah, not exactly a lot of buy in from the public
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Good Golly I'm Olly Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:14 am

GSC wrote:Believe the met police chief said something like 70% of those charged already had a criminal record. So, yeah, not exactly a lot of buy in from the public

But, but, Elon tells me there is going to be a Civil War? Surely a man of such wealth cannot be that much of an idi....oh wait he's one of the stupidest men on the planet.
Good Golly I'm Olly
Good Golly I'm Olly
Tractor Boy
Tractor Boy

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:15 am

Whatever he's got to do to try and justify massively overpaying for the site
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:15 am

GSC wrote:Believe the met police chief said something like 70% of those charged already had a criminal record. So, yeah, not exactly a lot of buy in from the public

That is what I would have thought as well but the fact protests/riots were appearing in many cities and towns across UK must mean it's not just those with criminal records. OK always going to get the hangers on but anyone with half a brain cell is surely going to realise it's not going to end well yet there were 1000s every day/night all over UK.
No doubt it''ll all go underground for a while but spread via online sources and will re-emerge again soon.

One other thing is weather. If it's raining that's pretty much stops everything. Hot, dry spells mean trouble and it's forecast for early next week. Seems crazy but it is a factor.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:18 am

Reminds me of a guy interviewed kicking off about how he couldn't get a job because of migrants. When asked for a reason why nobody would hire him, admitted he had a prior arrest for assault.
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:23 am

mountain man wrote:

That is what I would have thought as well but the fact protests/riots were appearing in many cities and towns across UK must mean it's not just those with criminal records. OK always going to get the hangers on but anyone with half a brain cell is surely going to realise it's not going to end well yet there were 1000s every day/night all over UK.
No doubt it''ll all go underground for a while but spread via online sources and will re-emerge again soon.

One other thing is weather. If it's raining that's pretty much stops everything. Hot, dry spells mean trouble and it's forecast for early next week. Seems crazy but it is a factor.

Think there's a % that are always up for a riot and a greater % that needs building up to it. The % that needs building up to it are the ones who likely thought it was a laugh or nobody would notice them nicking some shoes etc. those won't contemplate it until the memories of prison time for nicking shoes or losing jobs fade
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Thu 08 Aug 2024, 10:15 am

mountain man wrote:

I think you underestimate how many stupid people there are in this country.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 10:52 am

At least 4,117,610 as of the last count
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 5:14 pm

Some posters conspicuous by their absence today. I hope Duty didn't get arrested. Not saying he has, or anything. I'm just asking questions.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:08 pm

Whilst it's good anyone rioting etc should be dealt with severely so should those calling for the murder of others.
A Labour councillor filmed saying racists should have their throats cut.
Not exactly a peaceful response to the riots.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:09 pm

He's been suspended and arrested thumbsup
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:10 pm

Good. He's as bad as the rioters attacking the police etc or really worse given his platform.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:19 pm

mountain man wrote:Good. He's as bad as the rioters attacking the police etc or really worse given his platform.

He should get multiple years in prison, so I'll be interested to see if that happens.

Duty281

Location : I wouldn’t want to be faster or greener than now if you were with me; O you were the best of all my days

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:19 pm

Of course you are
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:24 pm

GSC wrote:Of course you are

?

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:24 pm

Well to be honest if he is found guilty of inciting murder then he should be jailed. Not sure anyone should dispute that.

Like I said in a previous post, everyone should be dealt with the same regardless of which side of argument on.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:28 pm

mountain man wrote:Well to be honest if he is found guilty of inciting murder then he should be jailed. Not sure anyone should dispute that.

Like I said in a previous post, everyone should be dealt with the same regardless of which side of argument on.

According to Cleveland Police, some people are getting 26 months for shouting (presumably abuse) at police.

https://x.com/ClevelandPolice/status/1821520915265438075
https://x.com/ClevelandPolice/status/1821524091347615853

Some one inciting murder, during a time of unease, and from someone who should be a positive example to the community owing to their position, must get a much harsher sentence.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:31 pm

Any comments on your mate Nige and his culpability in this? Or are you only interested in the "other side" and what happens to them?

Are you not a bit upset that Nige has been shown up as the Mr Winklechops we all thought he was?

Pr4wn

Luckless Pedestrian likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:39 pm

Duty281 wrote:
mountain man wrote:Well to be honest if he is found guilty of inciting murder then he should be jailed. Not sure anyone should dispute that.

According to Cleveland Police, some people are getting 26 months for shouting (presumably abuse) at police.

Some one inciting murder, during a time of unease, and from someone who should be a positive example to the community owing to their position, must get a much harsher sentence.

Bloody hell, hope they don't see me trying to get my son ready for school in the morning.

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:43 pm

Duty281 wrote:

Because this is the most concerning thig to have happened in all of this, right?

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:49 pm

Well the old saying of two wrongs don't make a right applies.
Saying the rioters should have their throats cut definitely doesn't excuse their behaviour but likewise the far right etc rioting is not excuse to incite murder.

mountain man

Duty281 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:49 pm

Pr4wn wrote:Any comments on your mate Nige and his culpability in this? Or are you only interested in the "other side" and what happens to them?

Are you not a bit upset that Nige has been shown up as the Mr Winklechops we all thought he was?

Give it time, we haven't heard about how the police are biased against white people yet
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:53 pm

mountain man wrote:Well the old saying of two wrongs don't make a right applies.
Saying the rioters should have their throats cut definitely doesn't excuse their behaviour but likewise the far right etc rioting is not excuse to incite murder.

With all due respect spare me the balance stuff mate. One side organised mobs to enact targeted violence against specific ethnicities. The other is pockets of unrest in retaliation.

We obviously don't condone it and we condemn anyone who breaks the law in retaliation but I think we're all smart enough to not waste each other time going into detail on that when the issue lies in the unprovoked element
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 6:55 pm

Spare me the balance stuff?

Oh dear.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Thu 08 Aug 2024, 7:03 pm

Galted wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

Bloody hell, hope they don't see me trying to get my son ready for school in the morning.

Laugh clap

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 7:31 pm

mountain man wrote:Spare me the balance stuff?

Oh dear.

It's an important discussion. Should both be condemned? Absolutely.

Are they equivalent? Absolutely not.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 7:48 pm

I think you and others are completely down playing this.
The far right protests were stopped by a big police presence and peaceful counter protests but then an elected official calls for them to have their throats cut?

Aside from the crime of inciting murder it's hardly going to ease tension in this whole situation.

At the very least he was incredibly stupid and irresponsible to do this and looking at other side(although apparently being balanced isn't a good look), if one of the far right had done similar I suspect your reaction be a bit different.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 7:56 pm

mountain man wrote:I think you and others are completely down playing this.
The far right protests were stopped by a big police presence and peaceful counter protests but then an elected official calls for them to have their throats cut?

Aside from the crime of inciting murder it's hardly going to ease tension in this whole situation.

At the very least he was incredibly stupid and irresponsible to do this and looking at other side(although apparently being balanced isn't a good look), if one of the far right had done similar I suspect your reaction be a bit different.

How is any poster here downplaying it? It's deplorable behaviour from an elected official. We're all in agreement, as far as I can tell.

Is it equivalent to trying to set fire to a hotel that houses asylum seekers? Obviously not.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 7:56 pm

I'd argue this kind of false-equivalence is a classic tactic of the far right. Just as Duty was attempting to do with his post the other day.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 7:59 pm

Oh so I'm far right supporter now?

Could you clarify this is what I'm accused of? As it certainly looks that way.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:01 pm

mountain man wrote:Oh so I'm far right supporter now?

Could you clarify this is what I'm accused of? As it certainly looks that way.

Lol calm down, petal. Nobody is accusing you of anything.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:02 pm

Calm down petal?

Oh dear again.

So who is doing the false equivalence? Seems like you put that in response to my post hence my reply.

Edit, I'll add as a moderator of this forum I think your response to perfectly polite and reasonable posts from me deserve better.
Being told to calm down petal just a tad insulting and disrespectful.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:07 pm

I have no idea what you're talking about.

The false equivalence is a tactic of the far right. Does that mean that everyone that talks about it is far right? No, of course not.

I'm not sure what's so difficult to understand here.

Edit: I think you need to get a sense of humour, friend. No offense was intended.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:09 pm

Pr4wn wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about.

The false equivalence is a tactic of the far right. Does that mean that everyone that talks about it is far right? No, of course not.

Well specifically this post from you. Not sure why you have no idea what I was referring to.

"I'd argue this kind of false-equivalence is a classic tactic of the far right. Just as Duty was attempting to do with his post the other day."

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:10 pm

Ah the old get a sense of humour to excuse an insult .

Nice move

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Thu 08 Aug 2024, 8:37 pm

mountain man wrote:
Pr4wn wrote:I have no idea what you're talking about.

Well specifically this post from you. Not sure why you have no idea what I was referring to.

"I'd argue this kind of false-equivalence is a classic tactic of the far right. Just as Duty was attempting to do with his post the other day."

It is a tactic of the far-right. Am I directly suggesting that you're far right? No. How is this so difficult to understand?

The point I'm trying to make is that many non-far right people fall prey to this tactic and start talking in the same way. Again, this is whether they are far right or not. I have family members who ask the same kind of questions, and they are not far right people.

Apologies if that wasn't conveyed clearly enough earlier on.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by JuliusHMarx Thu 08 Aug 2024, 9:25 pm

Galted wrote:
Duty281 wrote:

l'll send them the link.

JuliusHMarx
julius
julius

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Fri 09 Aug 2024, 4:47 am

Playing the victim is also a tactic of the far-right. Usually as an attempt to distract from the discussion at hand.

Just saying.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Fri 09 Aug 2024, 8:35 am

Is getting dislikes on posts? I must be bang to rights. It's a fair cop, you've got me. I'll come quietly.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Aug 2024, 8:52 am

I've just drunk a can of Coca Cola in a far-right manner, and soon I will be going on a far-right morning walk. I might even adopt the far-right tactic of nodding at someone and saying 'alright?' if I pass anyone.

I hope all my fellow Englishmen and women have a lovely far-right day.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Galted Fri 09 Aug 2024, 9:02 am

Duty281 wrote:I've just drunk a can of Coca Cola in a far-right manner, and soon I will be going on a far-right morning walk. I might even adopt the far-right tactic of nodding at someone and saying 'alright?' if I pass anyone.

Do you walk in a vibrant city or the racist countryside?

Galted
Galted
Galted

Back to top Go down

Post by Duty281 Fri 09 Aug 2024, 2:18 pm

Galted wrote:
Duty281 wrote:I've just drunk a can of Coca Cola in a far-right manner, and soon I will be going on a far-right morning walk. I might even adopt the far-right tactic of nodding at someone and saying 'alright?' if I pass anyone.

Do you walk in a vibrant city or the racist countryside?

Nothing beats the racist countryside for racism, clean air, more racism, tranquil sounds and the presence of the far right.

Duty281

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 09 Aug 2024, 3:50 pm

It's OK, Duty. Just admit Nige was wrong in all this. Admit that he helped to circulate rumours that turned out to be completely false and that these actions were a catalyst for these riots. We can't all be right all the time. Not even Nigel.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by Pr4wn Fri 09 Aug 2024, 4:45 pm

Main character syndrome.

Pr4wn

Back to top Go down

Post by GSC Sun 11 Aug 2024, 12:25 pm

Do we need to send out a search party for Badenoch? Wondering if the favourite to be leader of the opposition has any thoughts
GSC
GSC

Back to top Go down

Post by navyblueshorts Tue 13 Aug 2024, 12:35 pm

I suspect some of the sentences handed out will, in retrospect, both be seen to be daft and successfully challenged. Shouting at the police is a custodial sentence? Seriously?

The Labour Councillor is an arse and should lose his seat, but does anyone really think he meant what he said in a moment of anger at a counter-demonstration? He was obviously grandstanding and using deliberately extreme language. He hasn't got consistent form or millions of followers etc on Muppet. Wow.

Actual violence, looting and those like Yaxley-Lennon are a different kettle of fish.
navyblueshorts
navyblueshorts

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 13 Aug 2024, 2:23 pm

Well if shouting at police is a custodial sentence than calling for people to have throats cut should be. Whether he actually really meant people to be killed only he knows but that's not an excuse.

It would be bad enough if someone who was just an "ordinary" person did it but as an elected councillor I think it's worse.

Edit ; This copied from a BBC report :-

"In the first case of a person going to jail for posting on social media during the disorder, Jordan Parlour, 28, of Seacroft, Leeds, received a 20 month sentence for inciting others to target a Leeds building which housed asylum seekers"

So if this clown got 20 months for incitement online then be interesting to see what happens with Ricky Jones.
Note I think same applies to all, whether far right, far left, in the middle or in any position. This is more than hate speech, it is incitement.

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Samo Tue 13 Aug 2024, 3:24 pm

“Nigel Farage's social media activity could be investigated for 'inciting' riots, the former head of Counter Terrorism Policing for the UK has told LBC.

James O’Brien asked the ex-terror boss Neil Basu: "Farage’s social media activity in particular, do you think that should be investigated?"

Mr Basu replied: "I imagine that my former colleagues are doing precisely that."

The former Assistant Commissioner for the Met added his colleagues will look at anybody that might have incited the violent disorder that was sparked following the killing of three girls in Southport.

Mr Basu said if he was in charge, he would take out people with a large platform online, prosecute criminals who were inciting hatred online and also major technology companies.

He added he has made comments in the past about posts made by Mr Farage, but also two former Home Secretaries - Priti Patel and Suella Braverman.”

Not enough popcorn in the world.

Samo

Back to top Go down

Post by mountain man Tue 13 Aug 2024, 3:30 pm

The same laws have to apply to all so if Farage or anyone else is found to have incited riots or violence then they should be held to account and if found guilty treated same as all others.

It's quite simple really.

Forgot to add, dislike button is one on the right. thumbsup

mountain man

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 17 of 19 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 16, 17, 18, 19  Next