The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scottish International Rugby Thread

+59
alive555
tazfalklands
reallybored
Heuer27
flyhalffactory
tigertattie
RuggerRadge2611
Scrumpy
doctor_grey
cakeordeath
lostinwales
BigGee
Hood83
jimbopip
Jhamer25
Majestic83
blindsided
funnyExiledScot
Mr Bounce
SneakySideStep
beshocked
HammerofThunor
Taffineastbourne
rodders
EWT Spoons
nickj
Sam
demosthenes
Captain_Sensible
offload
MacKnocked-on
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
aucklandlaurie
mystiroakey
Nachos Jones
George Carlin
Biltong
Pal Joey
Notch
Yoda
Portnoy's Complaint
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
TJ
nganboy
ChequeredJersey
WELL-PAST-IT
21st Century Schizoid Man
kiakahaaotearoa
Allty
fa0019
GloriousEmpire
Nematode
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scratch
SecretFly
R!skysports
63 posters

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 4 Empty The Scottish International Rugby Thread

Post by R!skysports Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:45 am

First topic message reminder :

As a die hard Scotland rugby supporter, over the years I have been dragged through the mill. Poor selections, poor coaches and poor players.

Through thick and thin I have bleed blue, but is it time to say, enough is enough.

The incompetence and down right corruption* at the sru means I have been supporting a system and structure that, is to be frank, not deserving of my support.

When is it time to say, enough is enough. You shall not take my support for granted, and I will not support that was of space that is the sru.

Can we evoke change and move away from the old blazers who are destroying our game

Should we stop watching our team who currently make a fool of themselves

I am getting close to saying yes. I am almost at the point I do not care about our team And will sod off to go shopping this weekend

Our continued passion means our support ratifies the sru. Is it time to go on strike to show our displeasure, even if that means we miss out of watching our passion.

Can we affect the outcome

Your a dispirited and depressed Scotsman

*no proof of real corruption, but certainly an ability to corrupt the supporter

BUT I SUPPORT SCOTLAND TO THE END - GO SCOTLAND

(edited text, as the super duper mix tape of threads needed a most positive intro :-)

Last edited by Riskysports on Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I am in a good mood - so positive it is)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Scottish International Rugby Thread

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:34 pm

ChequeredJersey wrote:Surely Denton to 6, Beattie to 8 would have been a sane thing to do? Would have vastly improved the backrow balance

Denton is not a 6, mind you neither is Wilson.

Leaving out one of Brown, Stroks or Harley was a terrible mistake.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 4 Empty Re: The Scottish International Rugby Thread

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:36 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:
ChequeredJersey wrote:Surely Denton to 6, Beattie to 8 would have been a sane thing to do? Would have vastly improved the backrow balance

Denton is not a 6, mind you neither is Wilson.

Leaving out one of Brown, Stroks or Harley was a terrible mistake.

At least Denton plays some 6 though!
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by HammerofThunor Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:38 pm

TJ wrote:On form now - few if any Scots would get into any other team.  On actual ability a few would if they were playing to their potential.

But would they if the other sides had all their players playing to their potential? I'm not sure. It's such a mythical event (all players fit and on form) that we can't really compare. Add in national bias and there's probably no way.

HammerofThunor

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:39 pm

Does that silver mulleted buffon just not like proper blindside flankers?

Even if we had the likes Bonnaire, Kaino, Louw, Alberts Lydiate, O'Mahony (in his curent form) they probably wouldn't get picked either and he would insist on tyring to get 3 no.8s on the pitch.

Guy is a clown.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMildlyFranticLlama Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:40 pm

Is anyone going to Rome? Wondering if some sort of coordinated anti-SJ banner effort is needed

TheMildlyFranticLlama

Back to top Go down

Post by blindsided Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:41 pm

TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:NO FFS!

why do we insist on trying to batter square pegs into round holes!

^ This.

^ That. Hogg is one of our very few world class performers. As a 15, with space to run and jink and sidestep. Not at 10. Weir should get the full 6 nations to prove himself, then we can reassess our 10 options. Just let Hogg develop at 15!

Also I'm not wanting to get down on ford. As many have mentioned he's not picking himself and is obviously devoid of confidence. He does frustrate me as when you see how strong he is he should be a wrecking ball in contact and at the breakdown! Probably a silly suggestion, but do any of the front row bunch here think he could be made into a prop as he brings a lot of stability to the scrum?

blindsided

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:42 pm

The Wilson experiment has been a complete disaster, and completely unfair on Ryan Wilson. His opponents, Peter O'Mahony and Tom Wood, have been in a completely different league, and have crushed him in head-to-head terms. Like Kelly Brown, played out of position, I fear he may well be dropped for the Italy game. If SJ think that's somehow "blooding" a young player for the future, then he's an even bigger moron than I currently think he is.

As the articles says, the jokes are all on Scotland. The Torygraph yesterday even floated the idea of kicking Scotland out of the tournament, such is the pointless and one-sided nature of our fixtures.

It starts with the team selection and preparation for these matches, which has been woefully inadequate so far. The set pieces now beyond a farce, and the backline moves merely serving to highlight the inadequacies of both the players and the coaches. I watched the match with my Dad, a decent rugby player in his day, and neither of us could quite fathom why Scotland, with the limited possession we had, would be so keen to either (a) crab sideways across the pitch, or (b) kick it away with zero accuracy. I have no problem with a lateral play, as long as there are players either cutting the angle or running against the grain. We ignored the direct option every time for silly cut-out passes, and the English weren't fooled. The result was almost always a Scotland player being nailed behind the advantage line, usually with the Scotland support miles away. We were painfully predictable.

So here we are, another Wooden Spoon decider coming up, with Scotland firm underdogs against Italy. The most obvious selection decision will probably be to replace Ross Ford, totally hopeless yet again, with Scott Lawson. Lawson is 32, and whilst that's a fine age for a front row forward, it doesn't fill me with the feeling that we're "building for the future". Neither does the ongoing selections Jim Hamilton and Sean Lamont. Lamont was, as always, solid in defence. He also wears his heart of his sleeve, and fans will always respond to that. However, his limitations, principally his lack of pace and swerve, are now painfully obvious. Whilst he probably is the best left winger available whilst Visser is out, at 33 years of age surely he of all the candidates is a prime candidate for being replaced - particularly given SJ's line that he's building for the future.

However, what SJ says and what he does are totally different things, which is becoming worrying. He's out of his depth, and he's setting us back. I'd have Andy Robinson back in a heartbeat, and that says alot.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:42 pm

I don't think any other squad looks as out of sorts and so below what they are capable of as Scotland do right now.

Weir - for example - two years ago masterminded a very young scotland A team to humilate a Saxons team full of full caps. Now - looks lost. etc etc

this is the best squad of players scotland have had for a long long time but playing really poorly.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:44 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:

However, what SJ says and what he does are totally different things, which is becoming worrying. He's out of his depth, and he's setting us back. I'd have Andy Robinson back in a heartbeat, and that says alot.

OMG - is it that bad?

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:45 pm

blindsided wrote:
TheMildlyFranticLlama wrote:
RuggerRadge2611 wrote:NO FFS!

why do we insist on trying to batter square pegs into round holes!

^ This.

^ That. Hogg is one of our very few world class performers. As a 15, with space to run and jink and sidestep. Not at 10. Weir should get the full 6 nations to prove himself, then we can reassess our 10 options. Just let Hogg develop at 15!

Also I'm not wanting to get down on ford. As many have mentioned he's not picking himself and is obviously devoid of confidence. He does frustrate me as when you see how strong he is he should be a wrecking ball in contact and at the breakdown! Probably a silly suggestion, but do any of the front row bunch here think he could be made into a prop as he brings a lot of stability to the scrum?

Very possible. He could go into tighthead where we are a little thin on the ground.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:52 pm

TJ wrote:
funnyExiledScot wrote:

OMG - is it that bad?

I think that time has come, at least Under Robinson our pack could be counted upon to win ball. With our current crop of Backs I would wager them to conjour up something if they get enough ball.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:56 pm

My squad for Rome:

1.Grant 2.MacArthur 3.Low 4.Swinson 5.R Gray 6.Brown(c) 7.Fusaro 8.Denton 9.Laidlaw 10.Weir 11.Seymour 12.Scott 13.Dunbar 14.Fife 15.Hogg

16.Welsh 17.Lawson 18.Dickinson 19.J Gray 20.Beattie 21.Cusiter 22.Jackson 23.Evans

Not sweeping changes, but I've no doubt that's a more competitive side. There's also a bit more pace in the backline by ditching Lamont, and Brown will hopefully come back at 6 with a massive point to prove.

The backs will get more ball against Italy, and I'd like the message to go to Weir that long-range kicking should be a last resort. We won't beat Italy by playing to their strengths, so we keep continuity of possession and keep the ball in play for as long as possible. France showed that Italy can get ragged if you keep the ball alive, and we saw the odd bright moment from Hogg against Ireland and Scott on Saturday - these two are of paramount importance. I'd also like Weir to be given more licence to run the ball himself. He's a little cannon ball and shouldn't be afraid to use his bulk and low centre of gravity to be more direct. That enables Hogg or Scott to come as first receiver in the second phase, hopefully with Bergamasco, Parisse et al committed to the first ruck giving us more space to attack. We also need to take more chances with grubbers and chips over the top. At the moment we are so predictable that England and Ireland could just ignore the move and just run straight to the eventual recipient of the ball. We need to vary things.

You could write a thesis on what Scotland need to do better. Getting the teamsheet right for Italy would be a big start. Knowing SJ as we do, I think we can expect the entire front row to be replaced with Cross, Lawson and Dickinson, Hamilton will keep his place but Swinson will be dropped for J Gray (although R Gray will still be omitted from the squad), Wilson will stay, as will Fusaro, but Denton will be dropped for Beattie. Cusiter will come in for Laidlaw (allowing Weir's fragile goal kicking to be exposed), and Taylor might come in at 13 for Dunbar. S Lamont will stay - possibly be made captain.

I'm just trying to think of the things I definitely wouldn't do.....

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:00 pm

I would agree with your team bar Cussiter instead of Laidlaw.  laidlaw seems to have lost his way. cus looks hungry  Weirs goalkicking is fine or Hogg can take them

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:02 pm

I’m with you on that one FES, but SJ has too much pride to switch Brown back to 6 after a) dropping him and b) saying he’s only going to play him at 7. Throw Beattie in there and maybe more realistic.

One thing I want to see is Richie Gray back in the team. We are very much lacking ball carriers in the current pack (Swinson and Hamilton are non-existent in that regard) and Richie Gray really is an athletic freak that does a lot of carrying. I think we have sorely missed him, and he needs to get picked again IMO.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:04 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:My squad for Rome:

1.Grant 2.MacArthur 3.Low 4.Swinson 5.R Gray 6.Brown(c) 7.Fusaro 8.Denton 9.Laidlaw 10.Weir 11.Seymour 12.Scott 13.Dunbar 14.Fife 15.Hogg

16.Welsh 17.Lawson 18.Dickinson 19.J Gray 20.Beattie 21.Cusiter 22.Jackson 23.Evans

Not sweeping changes, but I've no doubt that's a more competitive side. There's also a bit more pace in the backline by ditching Lamont, and Brown will hopefully come back at 6 with a massive point to prove.

The backs will get more ball against Italy, and I'd like the message to go to Weir that long-range kicking should be a last resort. We won't beat Italy by playing to their strengths, so we keep continuity of possession and keep the ball in play for as long as possible. France showed that Italy can get ragged if you keep the ball alive, and we saw the odd bright moment from Hogg against Ireland and Scott on Saturday - these two are of paramount importance. I'd also like Weir to be given more licence to run the ball himself. He's a little cannon ball and shouldn't be afraid to use his bulk and low centre of gravity to be more direct. That enables Hogg or Scott to come as first receiver in the second phase, hopefully with Bergamasco, Parisse et al committed to the first ruck giving us more space to attack. We also need to take more chances with grubbers and chips over the top. At the moment we are so predictable that England and Ireland could just ignore the move and just run straight to the eventual recipient of the ball. We need to vary things.

You could write a thesis on what Scotland need to do better. Getting the teamsheet right for Italy would be a big start. Knowing SJ as we do, I think we can expect the entire front row to be replaced with Cross, Lawson and Dickinson, Hamilton will keep his place but Swinson will be dropped for J Gray (although R Gray will still be omitted from the squad), Wilson will stay, as will Fusaro, but Denton will be dropped for Beattie. Cusiter will come in for Laidlaw (allowing Weir's fragile goal kicking to be exposed), and Taylor might come in at 13 for Dunbar. S Lamont will stay - possibly be made captain.I'm just trying to think of the things I definitely wouldn't do.....

Your team looks fantastic. Worryingly the statement in bold is a distinct possibility.

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:06 pm

Well Tommy Allan can't kick for toffee, and I fear we'd be negating that flaw by asking either Weir or Hogg to kick, neither of whom can kick for toffee.

I know Laidlaw missed a couple on Saturday, but that's completely out of character for him. I'd stick with him, although were it not for his goal kicking I'd agree that Cusiter should probably get a shot.

Worst possible SJ team selection for Italy:

1.Dickinson 2.Lawson 3.Cross 4.J Gray 5.Hamilton 6.Wilson 7.Fusaro 8.Beattie 9.Cusiter 10.Hogg 11.S Lamont (c) 12.Scott 13.Taylor 14.Evans 15.Cuthbert

Sends a shiver down my spine, even more so knowing that SJ is capable of doing it.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:08 pm

Hold on - I've thought of worse. He's played Evans at 15 before. Moving Hogg to 10 and having Evans at 15.

SJ - more Goose than Maverick.

monkey

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:13 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:Hold on - I've thought of worse. He's played Evans at 15 before. Moving Hogg to 10 and having Evans at 15.

SJ - more Goose than Maverick.
monkey

That one made me chuckle.

I pray the SRU have read the papers and will be brave enough to weild the Axe before the Italy game. Toonie and Solomons come into a care taker role and let Shade pick the team

RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:28 pm

I think if Lancaster was asked which Scotland players he would have in his XV, and he answered honestly, I'm confident the answer would be one. Matt Scott is a better 12 than Billy Twelvetrees. I'm not comparing the performances on Saturday, that would be pointless given one player had oodles of ball whereas the other had none, but that's my honest opinion of where we are. One player. That's my opinion.

Clearly some players have the potential, Stuart Hogg over Mike Brown as an example, but whereas Brown has been an absolute rock for England, playing well in defence and attack for England, Hogg has been slightly skittish in a Scotland jersey, and I'm not impressed to hear comments from him that he'd like to play at 10.

As for other teams, there might be one here or there that makes it in, Devon Toner looks a little short of quality for Ireland and Richie Gray is probably a better bet, there are a few weaker links in the Italy side, although can't think of anyone who'd make the French side and similarly Wales off the top of my head.

However, that is not to say we're playing anywhere near the potential of the players we do have. Scotland sides in the past, particularly the early and late 90s, didn't beat sides because they had, to a man, a better player in each position. They won because (a) they were shrewdly coached with tactics to suit the players, and a gameplan chosen to defeat the opposition on any given day, (b) they were shrewdly selected, and the limited depth meant greater continuity of selection, and (c) they always had 2-3 really quality players to raise those around them.

(a) and (b) have been almost entirely absent recently, and of the players we have who can really lift the team with a big performance, most have been missing in action recently.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:35 pm

I suspect they'll feel that they've already nailed their colours to the mast with Johnson, given the DoR role he's due to fulfil in the longer term. I also assume that Johnson had a hand in selecting Cotter, so they may not wish to do anything to put Cotter of joining us. We need him now more than ever.

It'll also be expensive to ditch him no doubt, money the SRU now need to spend on creating a playing surface to compete with the very best of ploughed fields.

Still, it would be welcome news to me were Johnson to be stuck on the next Qantas flight to Oz, never to return. His team selection alone for this game indicated a fundamental lack of understanding of what is required for international rugby, and his post-match interviews just highlight the fact that he doesn't get it, nor does he understand Scottish rugby.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:44 pm

" if he thinks Scottish rugby supporters are happy to see the Calcutta Cup used as some sort of selection experiment then he is in the wrong job now and he will be an even worse job when he takes over as national director of rugby at the end of this Six Nations. "

^ From that telegraph article.

That entire 80 minutes of rugby has completely destroyed any credibility we may or may not have had.

This loss and team selection will haunt Scottish rugby for years to come.

Even the normally clueless Scottish Rugby media could sense a drubbing. When can you ever remember a Scotland Captain being dropped making the 6 oclock sports news headline?
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:49 pm

Is Johnson contracted tho? He said he wasn't.

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:52 pm

I think it also says alot that rather than be in and around the squad to offer support, Brown decided to be in London spending time with his family.

There's clearly a problem here, because a player of his experience and standing in the squad should have been in and around the changing room, regardless of whether he'd been picked or not. He's still the squad captain is he not?

I still cannot come to terms with how bad that team selection was. There is no rational explanation for the decisions SJ made, and taking people off two minutes into the half. What on earth was he thinking??

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Mon Feb 10, 2014 2:57 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:I think it also says alot that rather than be in and around the squad to offer support, Brown decided to be in London spending time with his family.

There's clearly a problem here, because a player of his experience and standing in the squad should have been in and around the changing room, regardless of whether he'd been picked or not. He's still the squad captain is he not?

I still cannot come to terms with how bad that team selection was. There is no rational explanation for the decisions SJ made, and taking people off two minutes into the half. What on earth was he thinking??

That was a public execution of Ross Ford. No wonder the man's heid is broken.

Last edited by RuggerRadge2611 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:01 pm

Thing is Fords head has clearly been broken for a while - has anything been done about it? I think he should go and play for a small club and get his love for the game back

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by funnyExiledScot Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:09 pm

TJ wrote:Thing is Fords head has clearly been broken for a while - has anything been done about it?  I think he should go and play for a small club and get his love for the game back

Smaller than Edinburgh?? Are there any clubs out there with less fans.....

He's actually been ok for us this season in Edinburgh colours. Not his old barnstorming self, but he's been quietly influencial in a few games.

funnyExiledScot

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 3:49 pm

I think Ford needs to get out of scottish rugby altogether right now and would be best playing fr a club where he can rediscover his form and love for the game away from the spotlight. He has been broken for a while and seems nothing up here has helped him

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:26 pm

Keep Hogg at 15, he is already a class player there and could turn into a world class 15.
Yes he good be a good 10 but don't think he has the right temper to be a very good or world class 10.

Don't think the 10 position has been the problem in the six nations so far. Weir has had no ball to play off and any ball he has had has been very slow from Laidlaw. Keep Weir at 10 for now and let him string some games together as that is the only way Weir will develop and get better.

People are saying about the SRU missing a trick with Tommy Allan which i said at the time but another player I think they are really missing a trick with at 10 is Lee Millar. He has been in top form and could easily play at a far higher level than the championship in England. He is only on a one year contract and will hopefully go up to the premiership if LS don't get promoted or go to Edinburgh as he could be the solution to the 10 problems.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by fa0019 Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:35 pm

With time sure. As a stop gap it would be similar to watching Bergamasco turn out at no.9

I see a lot of Mike Catt in him, all the skills, big boot. fast. He can make the move but he needs time and a pack which won't see him get smashed.

fa0019

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:48 pm

I think Hogg cvould be a very good ten - but it needs to be done properly. some low pressure games in the league clubs, a run of games in the Rabo then he might just be ready for the next 6N. No way should he play there now. We must not do to him what was done to patterson

he did play 10 at age grade remember

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:58 pm

I keep saying it, next year Ford will be a prop!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jhamer25 Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:21 pm

It's worth a try, they have done worse, a lot lot worse in fact. See how he goes, he has that magic touch so give him a go.

Jhamer25

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:29 pm

What? Hogg at 10? Then where will Robbie Robinson play in Scotland's backline when he comes to Edinburgh like a redemptive angel in the summer*?

*Maybe. If the SRU have any remaining shred of sense.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by ChequeredJersey Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:35 pm

funnyExiledScot wrote:
TJ wrote:Thing is Fords head has clearly been broken for a while - has anything been done about it?  I think he should go and play for a small club and get his love for the game back

Smaller than Edinburgh?? Are there any clubs out there with less fans.....

He's actually been ok for us this season in Edinburgh colours. Not his old barnstorming self, but he's been quietly influencial in a few games.

Ah, Cardiff Blues it is then
ChequeredJersey
ChequeredJersey

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:38 pm

Just heard on the radio that the sru has publicly declared it's support to SJ and his coaching team.

If the football world is anything to go by, that'll mean he's not long for the boot!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:46 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:Can I suggest that we try him at hooker?

He will never make any money out of it, now stick Maitland in a pair of high heels down Paddens Lounge Bar and ye might get a few bob for the SRU
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Taffin has a good point, although it could have been more tactfully made given the pain of the weekend.

Andy Robinson got brickbats for his poor backline selections towards the end, but surely it is correct to say that in the most he played to the strengths of the team and although it wasn't pretty, made the best of the modest talent available to him. Rock solid set piece, talented loose forwards and Parks to nudge the scoreboard on when the territory and pressure forced the opposition into mistakes. I can't see that someone like Jake White or Graham Henry would have turned that group of players into a squadron of offloading Fijian-esque geniuses. The mid 2000s had the least talented bunch of Scottish players I have seen in my lifetime. That's just a fact.

But there's something that's unavoidable and it has also been touched on and there's no way of getting away from it. Scots posters on these boards have invariably been proven right over the years. We are all detailed followers of the club game and the simple truth has been that a number of Scottish coaches simply have not given the team the chance to be the best version of itself. No contentious selection decision comes to mind where the coach was vindicated - the only possible exception was playing Rennie, Barclay and Hines in the back row when we beat the Wallabies in 2010 (was it?).

No problem recognizing that few of our players would automatically drop into other national teams' starting XVs. However, to suggest that Scottish players are simply less talented does not square with Glasgow sweeping practically all before them last year (with an almost all SQ team) and sits very uncomfortably with some very good exiles of international pedigree who are clearly doing well for their clubs.

It's almost impossible not to end at the conclusion that Scotland could be exponentially better with a proper gameplan, choosing specialists in specialist positions and picking on form. It's not rocket salad, Ted, but similarly, it takes an experienced coach to see beyond the puff, reputations and historical baggage. Alan Solomons at Edinburgh has proven that most recently.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 6:58 pm

Hope yo are right

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:17 pm

RDW_Scotland wrote:I’m with you on that one FES, but SJ has too much pride to switch Brown back to 6 after a) dropping him and b) saying he’s only going to play him at 7.  Throw Beattie in there and maybe more realistic.

One thing I want to see is Richie Gray back in the team.  We are very much lacking ball carriers in the current pack (Swinson and Hamilton are non-existent in that regard) and Richie Gray really is an athletic freak that does a lot of carrying.  I think we have sorely missed him, and he needs to get picked again IMO.

He may have pride and hubris but he has not an ounce of self-respect. And now the cowardly cretins at the SRU put out a weasly statement saying they support Johnson. Scott Johnson is a stupid, unfunny, incompetent clown who could not coach a team if his life depended on it. I hate then man more that I ever did Andy Robinson.  furious furious furious furious mad furious furious furious 

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:25 pm

Captain_Sensible wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Fusaro did OK but I'm sure Barclay would have been a better and more effective pick for the match. I really hope Cotter has a clear plan on how to improve things, and quickly. Certainly hope he hasn't had any input in to the current state of affairs.  

I am very, very worried about this possibility.

I think its pretty damn likely he has been pulling the strings of Pinocchio Johnson
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:31 pm

For me the worst thing is not the selections - its the way the team have no pride or passion (bar a couple of them) We have good players who look lost like Laidlaw. We have no cohesiveness as a team. We have no gameplan. We have no spirit and the blame for that must lie with the coaches

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by jimbopip Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm

[quote="funnyExiledScot"]My squad for Rome:

Not a bad side FES, and one I broadly agree with. However, Matt Scott is not back to match fitness ( not the same as saying he's not fit) so why not put Dunbar at 12? Then if we're "building for the future" play  angel at 13. Of course Rab C won't do that he'd rather have a look at this kid De Luca. Common sense would say Taylor-Dunbar so we probably won't see that. I'd like to see Fife start and think that Cooseater should also begin. When did we last see Laidlaw do something unexpected? Also, Beattie is probably a better ball carrier than Denton.
You know, if it was me being paid to make opaque comments to the media and then pull names out of the SRU tombola drum, I might be tempted by...
10. Hogg
and
15. Jackson.
It'll be interesting to see how the Brown 6 or 7 is resolved. I think he has gone into self-imposed exile and will remain there until either he is reinstated as a 6 or Rab C goes upstairs.

jimbopip

Back to top Go down

Post by demosthenes Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:45 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Captain_Sensible wrote:
MacKnocked-on wrote:Fusaro did OK but I'm sure Barclay would have been a better and more effective pick for the match. I really hope Cotter has a clear plan on how to improve things, and quickly. Certainly hope he hasn't had any input in to the current state of affairs.  

I am very, very worried about this possibility.

I think its pretty damn likely he has been pulling the strings of Pinocchio Johnson

Given that Cotter does not have the reputation of a complete incompetent, if he is suggesting selections it can only be to make him seem better when he does come in.

demosthenes

Back to top Go down

Post by TJ Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:47 pm

I doubt Cotter has had a hand in selections. It would be odd to do so without much knowlege

TJ

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:20 pm

v Italy in 2 weeks :-

1. Welsh, 2 MacArthur, 3 Kalman, 4 Gray R, 5 Gray J, 6 Brown (c), 7 Barclay, 8 Beattie, 9 Cusiter, 10 Weir, 11 Fife, 12 Scott, 13 Dunbar, 14 Seymour, 15 Hogg

16 Hall, 17 Swinson, 18 Cross, 19 Denton, 20 Pyrgos, 21 Heathcote,  22 Evans, 23 Reid
Coach :  anyone but that moron Johnson

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:24 pm

Its unbelievable that we are somehow lashing all the blame onto the coaches

Selection wise it was a disaster, but the "go to" players were an utter disgrace and that's something which SJ couldn't do anything about when they walked onto the pitch.

BACKS

Hogg
Tackles 9 MISSED 5. 56% missed tackles. Turned Over 4. f**king disgrace,
This is a guy who has been on a Lions tour and been coached by some pretty decent defence coaches and been in the company of some great defensive backs.

Seymour
Tackles 6 MISSED 3. 50% missed tackles. Turned Over 1. f**king disgrace,
Just because he is a debutant doesn't mean he should miss 50% of his tackles

Scott
Tackles 7 MISSED 4. 58% missed tackles. Metres Made 1m. f**king disgrace,

Weir
Tackles 12 MISSED 5. 42% missed tackles. f**king disgrace

How can Dunbar 6/0, Lamont 5/0, Laidlaw 8/0 have a 100% tackle rate, and only Dunbar is turned over once.... while the rest put a shower of sh1ite performance like that.

FORWARDS
Grant
Tackles 4/1. Turnovers 1 Pens 1
Low
Tackles 7/2. Turnovers 0 Pens 3
Wilson
Tackles 10/4. Turnovers 0 Pens 3
Hamilton
Tackles 13/0. Turnovers 1 Pens 4

How can you justify Wilsons performance 40% errors on the tackle, and gives away 3 f**king pens
When you compare Hamilton 13/0, Swinson 14/1, Fusaro 16/0 (and zero turnovers and zero pens)

So lets not wack the total blame on SJ & Co.

I know most were baying for Scotts return, but how he was selected I never know, Taylor was and is the 12 in-form, and based on Mattys performance he should be benched at best. How does think SJ think that Denton is and 8 and Wilson a 6 in the same back-row is beyond a joke. Denton whilst carrying for 57 metres didn't pass once and all he did was head down and pump his legs without thinking who was around him. Grant has lost his mojo since the Lions and needs a some good counselling and confidence building.

We can harp on about Brown not being a 7 but the reality he has performed very well there at club level in high intensity HC matches and the AP. However he didn't play well last week and most of us ripped him to pieces but when SJ drops him from the squad then we are aghast.

Only Dunbar, Lamont, Swinson and Fusaro did enough to be selected next week, however with some I think we need to persevere with e.g. Weir

15 Hogg
14 Evans
11 Lamont

13 Dunbar
12 Taylor

10 Weir
9 Laidlaw

8 Beattie or Wilson
7 Fusaro or Barclay
6 Brown or Denton

5 God Knows but probably Gray snr
4 Swinson

3 Low
2 McArthur
1 Grant
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:47 pm

That's some fairly sobering stats flyhalf. Scott had his worst game in a Scotland short but he wasn't the only one in that regard - and we know how well he can perform at this level.

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 pm

What defined that game as a new low in Scottish rugby submissiveness was when that feckin nob Farrell pushed at Cusiter and not one of his team mates punched his (Farrell's) stupid face in. Even 'hard man enforcer' big dainty Jim Hamilton. Well worth a red card and would have cheered up the crowd no end.

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:04 pm

Totally agree (and you and I see him week in week out), but he hadn't had enough game time, and Taylor did nothing wrong in the first game, and when Scott came on he was ineffective. So in my mind SJ should have given the starting berth to Taylor and brought Matty on after 40 mins, and then play him first next match with Taylor coming on say the last 25 mins. Last weeks performance will no doubt stick in his mind and cast doubts.

Same with Denton, our best forward yet he gets hauled off, instead of moving Denton to 6 bringing on Beattie at 8 and taking off the pretty poor Wilson.

Now these decisions are the head coach's responsibility but on the pitch we need to get the damn basics right. Not sure if the team has a collective issue with the Coaches/Management/SRU but I was always confident of our pack to do the basics right, and always confident of the likes of Paterson, Morrison et al not to be found out defensively.

To put all this in perspective our flyhalf makes 25 metres, and outside him our two centres make a total of 4 metres, now I can't fathom that out as England were waiting almost drifting as a defensive line.

I usually can make an assessment call on the game but last week I didn't have a clue what was going on.

I want Matt to be fully on form, and fully match fit before unleashing him on any side, but particularly the likes of England or Ireland.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by RDW Mon Feb 10, 2014 9:31 pm

Not before long, someone has made a Hitler parody of the current state of Scottish rugby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pkp0hZfaPBM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Warning - bad language and not for those easily offended. So 21st schizoid, I know you're a sensitive soul so best avoid it....!

RDW
Founder
Founder

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next