The v2 Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Scottish International Rugby Thread

+59
alive555
tazfalklands
reallybored
Heuer27
flyhalffactory
tigertattie
RuggerRadge2611
Scrumpy
doctor_grey
cakeordeath
lostinwales
BigGee
Hood83
jimbopip
Jhamer25
Majestic83
blindsided
funnyExiledScot
Mr Bounce
SneakySideStep
beshocked
HammerofThunor
Taffineastbourne
rodders
EWT Spoons
nickj
Sam
demosthenes
Captain_Sensible
offload
MacKnocked-on
TheMildlyFranticLlama
RDW
aucklandlaurie
mystiroakey
Nachos Jones
George Carlin
Biltong
Pal Joey
Notch
Yoda
Portnoy's Complaint
Shifty
bedfordwelsh
TJ
nganboy
ChequeredJersey
WELL-PAST-IT
21st Century Schizoid Man
kiakahaaotearoa
Allty
fa0019
GloriousEmpire
Nematode
AsLongAsBut100ofUs
Scratch
SecretFly
R!skysports
63 posters

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 Empty The Scottish International Rugby Thread

Post by R!skysports Fri 07 Feb 2014, 12:45 am

First topic message reminder :

As a die hard Scotland rugby supporter, over the years I have been dragged through the mill. Poor selections, poor coaches and poor players.

Through thick and thin I have bleed blue, but is it time to say, enough is enough.

The incompetence and down right corruption* at the sru means I have been supporting a system and structure that, is to be frank, not deserving of my support.

When is it time to say, enough is enough. You shall not take my support for granted, and I will not support that was of space that is the sru.

Can we evoke change and move away from the old blazers who are destroying our game

Should we stop watching our team who currently make a fool of themselves

I am getting close to saying yes. I am almost at the point I do not care about our team And will sod off to go shopping this weekend

Our continued passion means our support ratifies the sru. Is it time to go on strike to show our displeasure, even if that means we miss out of watching our passion.

Can we affect the outcome

Your a dispirited and depressed Scotsman

*no proof of real corruption, but certainly an ability to corrupt the supporter

BUT I SUPPORT SCOTLAND TO THE END - GO SCOTLAND

(edited text, as the super duper mix tape of threads needed a most positive intro :-)

Last edited by Riskysports on Thu 20 Feb 2014, 11:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I am in a good mood - so positive it is)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Scottish International Rugby Thread

Post by R!skysports Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:34 am

I am sure he will, but I al;ways like to be realistic about our players - he is developing well, and could be a world class full back

But unlike some countries, world class does not come after a season :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: The Scottish International Rugby Thread

Post by tigertattie Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:59 am

RDW_Scotland wrote:Just like to point out he's not the official thread writer...others can too!

maybe for the other nations, but the Scottish contingent have GC. He writes the posts. Lets face it, he does hee haw else  laughing 

Each poster has their own role.
Geroge Carlin - Writes match threads
21stC - To post oddities and ramble on about all things west coastish
RuggerRadge - To counter the west coast rhetoric of 21stC
FES - To remind us that there is still a place in scottish rugby for tweed jackets
ASBO - Well, suppose he's here to cheer us up?

So on an so forth
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:13 am

tigertattie wrote:
RDW_Scotland wrote:Just like to point out he's not the official thread writer...others can too!

maybe for the other nations, but the Scottish contingent have GC. He writes the posts.  Lets face it, he does hee haw else  laughing 

FES - To remind us that there is still a place in scottish rugby for tweed jackets

So on an so forth
 Cool 

And for today's cheering up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhwBaREBrLg

We can compete with the best Braveheart

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:43 am

tigertattie wrote:

maybe for the other nations, but the Scottish contingent have GC. He writes the posts.  Lets face it, he does hee haw else  laughing 

Ah, but I'm in the Mod Team, Tattie. Ready and willing to abuse my powers to squash jokes at my expense, for example.The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 Violen17
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:59 am

Riskysports wrote:I am sure he will, but I al;ways like to be realistic about our players - he is developing well, and could be a world class full back

But unlike some countries, world class does not come after a season :-)

I think he is a world class attacking threat with the ball in hand from 15. Particularly on the counter attack, but he has a lot of other areas of his game he needs to develop.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:02 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

So on an so forth
 Cool 

You really want a you tube video to cheer you up? Go check out Rhianna and Shakira's new music video The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 1347041234 Drool

I have never wanted to be a bed cover so much in my entire life....
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by tigertattie Wed 12 Feb 2014, 12:43 pm

Shakira  kiss 

She's with some spanish footballer! Lucky git!
tigertattie
tigertattie

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:15 pm

beshocked[b] wrote:Surely Hogg showed on the Lions tour that he's not good enough at 10 to be considered[/b].

The benchmark in the NH at fly half are Sexton and Farrell. Hogg showed he has a long way to go to be anywhere near them.

Hogg is a very good 15 though. It makes sense to leave him there. He's one of Scotland's best players shoehorning him into the 10 shirt would mean you would have to fill the 15 shirt plus there is no guarantee Hogg will be as good as he is at 15.

beshocked based on what criteria do you base such a sweeping statement.

The game he started at 10 was a farce full stop, a baa baas side brought in at the last moment including a commentator (Ickle Shane).... not enough time to have a practice session let alone know the weakness and strengths of the team, the other match episodes were almost as farcical. Typical Gatland shower of sh1ite Lions selection policy took a lot out of Hogg and its taken until a couple ago for him to regain some confidence and motivation.

He played a few games for Glasgow before the Lions tour which showed his potential, so if you are going to base some opinion then look at him at 10 in some serious games not some micky mouse game which disrespected all that a Lions jersey represents. I do believe (correct me if I am mistaken) his accuracy off the dead ball was better than both Sexton and Farrell though.

Its not just about is he too good to move from 15, its have we got good players to replace him at 15 or 10?. I think Maitland is a good FB, and we also have a few youngsters coming through that can do a job there, now compare that to the flyhalf channel with Jackson our most talented but most inconsistent , Weir young but at the moment cannot get a backline moving at international level, Heathcote who is not even considered 2nd choice at his club, Allan we somehow have let slip through our fingers, and the only decent player to come through (in my opinion) is Tonks who has played well for us this season and in my mind should have been looked at for the full side but took a shoulder injury early on playing for the As and now is out for the rest of the season.

Basically its not worth having a world class FB and a gash FH, its better to have two very good 15 & 10.

I personally would give Weir (who is still young) full backing by starting him in the five games of the 6Ns, and assess him then. If it isn't working then I would seriously look at developing Hogg or Tonks and give them an extended run

We have some potential combos
15/10
Hogg/Weir
Hogg/Tonks
Hogg/Jackson
Hogg/Heathcote

All don't fill me with that much optimism but

Maitland/Hogg
Tonks/Hogg

Does.

flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

tigertattie wrote:If Rab C Johnson can pick the right team then we can beat Wales!

No.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed 12 Feb 2014, 1:24 pm

Also can someone tell me why he is Rab C? I missed that

Back to top Go down

Post by RuggerRadge2611 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 2:12 pm

Hogg is not a 10. We dicked Paterson around for 5 seasons and probably robbed ourseleves of the answer at 10 when we moved him around so much.

Had Paterson cemented himself at 10 we wouldn't have had Parks or Good Godman at 10.

Keep Hogg at 15. He won't get enough space or time as an international 10 to deploy his greatest strengths.
RuggerRadge2611
RuggerRadge2611

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 12 Feb 2014, 2:13 pm

What's his greatest strengths..... running?
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 12 Feb 2014, 2:34 pm

I have advocated that Hogg should go to 10 before the Lions tour, unfortunately Gatland balls that one up. He played well at stand off at Hawick, especially for the Wanderers.

He is a natural footballer, his innate strengths are instinct, acceleration, speed over distance and great balance off both pegs. Under Mossy and Taylor (and Jenkins for the Lions) he is now a decent dead ball kicker both out of hand and off the tee. What he hasn't got is awareness in the standoff role but he has more than a few times made the media aware that he would like to move into the 10 slot.

Stuart Hogg wrote:
“I would love to step up there,” said Hogg. “Whatever is best for the team. Especially in games like that, when you’re not getting the ball at 15, stepping up to 10 would be the ideal opportunity. But whatever the gaffer says goes. We’ll just listen to him."

When a footballer seems to be that eager to get a chance in the stand off position its fairly obvious he is not confident in the present setup.

The situation with Mossy was entirely different as we didn't really have a consistent FB and he was never going to be the instinctive player that is sometimes needed at FH. TBH I had more confidence in Dan Parks and Morrison as a combo than I currently have with our current batch of 10s and Matty Scott.

Doesn't matter how much of a world class player you are...... if you don't get the ball you are a redundant world class player.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by beshocked Wed 12 Feb 2014, 3:03 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
beshocked[b] wrote:Surely Hogg showed on the Lions tour that he's not good enough at 10 to be considered[/b].

The benchmark in the NH at fly half are Sexton and Farrell. Hogg showed he has a long way to go to be anywhere near them.

Hogg is a very good 15 though. It makes sense to leave him there. He's one of Scotland's best players shoehorning him into the 10 shirt would mean you would have to fill the 15 shirt plus there is no guarantee Hogg will be as good as he is at 15.

beshocked based on what criteria do you base such a sweeping statement.

The game he started at 10 was a farce full stop, a baa baas side brought in at the last moment including a commentator (Ickle Shane).... not enough time to have a practice session let alone know the weakness and strengths of the team, the other match episodes were almost as farcical. Typical Gatland shower of sh1ite Lions selection policy took a lot out of Hogg and its taken until a couple ago for him to regain some confidence and motivation.

He played a few games for Glasgow before the Lions tour which showed his potential, so if you are going to base some opinion then look at him at 10 in some serious games not some micky mouse game which disrespected all that a Lions jersey represents. I do believe (correct me if I am mistaken) his accuracy off the dead ball was better than both Sexton and Farrell though.

Its not just about is he too good to move from 15, its have we got good players to replace him at 15 or 10?. I think Maitland is a good FB, and we also have a few youngsters coming through that can do a job there, now compare that to the flyhalf channel with Jackson our most talented but most inconsistent , Weir young but at the moment cannot get a backline moving at international level, Heathcote who is not even considered 2nd choice at his club, Allan we somehow have let slip through our fingers, and the only decent player to come through (in my opinion) is Tonks who has played well for us this season and in my mind should have been looked at for the full side but took a shoulder injury early on playing for the As and now is out for the rest of the season.

Basically its not worth having a world class FB and a gash FH, its better to have two very good 15 & 10.

I personally would give Weir (who is still young) full backing by starting him in the five games of the 6Ns, and assess him then. If it isn't working then I would seriously look at developing Hogg or Tonks and give them an extended run

We have some potential combos
15/10
Hogg/Weir
Hogg/Tonks
Hogg/Jackson
Hogg/Heathcote

All don't fill me with that much optimism but

Maitland/Hogg
Tonks/Hogg

Does.

Oh right so it was Gatland's fault that Hogg didn't deliver. It couldn't be his completely lack of experience in the 10 shirt? Hogg should have never been playing at 10 in the first place. It damages the confidence of the player.

I don't think a handful of games in the Pro12 for Glasgow at 10 means that Hogg is ready for international level.

Disagree. Farrell was one of the most accurate place kickers on the Lions tour. 2nd only to Halfpenny.

Surely you need Maitland to play on the wing unless you want to continue with Lamont?

It's best not to mess around your best full back in the hope that he delivers at 10.

beshocked

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 3:22 pm

I don't think moving Hogg to 10 would make much difference to getting the back line moving. The issue has not really been backs so far in the 6 nations. Its the lack of ball they have had.

Hogg's best assets are his counter attack and broken play running which are best used at from full back, he has also developed a very good punt return which again is best used at from 15.
I think Hogg is a fantastic player but i don't think 10 will be his best position. I think he has the tendancy to lose his calm when under pressure on occasions as was seen on Saturday.

Also the back 3 when fully fit will be Hogg, Maitland and Visser which is a cracking unit.

Move Hogg to 10 and who do you put at full back? there are no options that are nearly as good as him. There is Maitland who has done well at fb but he prefers the wing spot and is better suited in my opinion to wing.

Give Weir time to develop at 10 as the only way he will get used to the pressures of international rugby like game management, time on the ball and bringing other players into the game is by playing under those pressures. The more he plays the more he will get comfortable and will get a lot better.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Heuer27 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 4:06 pm

Possibly due to his uncanny likeness both in looks and esoteric thinking to the great man himself

Heuer27

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:04 pm

...and his rugby coaching /selection ability tbh !

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:09 pm

beshocked wrote:Disagree. Farrell was one of the most accurate place kickers on the Lions tour. 2nd only to Halfpenny.

Are you certain that Farrell had a better accuracy than Hogg?

I know for a fact Farrell was more accurate than Halfpenny missing only one kick out of nineteen

Last edited by flyhalffactory on Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:27 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:
tigertattie wrote:

So on an so forth
 Cool 

Ah yes ASBO - a classic - JJ got away with one with the Lagisquet non-try  Shocked  Matt Duncan another product of my alma-mater. There was a form with him (MD) and Murdo McLeod who went to represent Scotland at wendyball. Fine sporting days ! If only they were now  Sad 

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 12 Feb 2014, 5:31 pm

Majestic83 wrote:I don't think moving Hogg to 10 would make much difference to getting the back line moving. The issue has not really been backs so far in the 6 nations. Its the lack of ball they have had.

Hogg's best assets are his counter attack and broken play running which are best used at from full back, he has also developed a very good punt return which again is best used at from 15.
I think Hogg is a fantastic player but i don't think 10 will be his best position. I think he has the tendancy to lose his calm when under pressure on occasions as was seen on Saturday.

Also the back 3 when fully fit will be Hogg, Maitland and Visser which is a cracking unit.

Move Hogg to 10 and who do you put at full back? there are no options that are nearly as good as him. There is Maitland who has done well at fb but he prefers the wing spot and is better suited in my opinion to wing.

Give Weir time to develop at 10 as the only way he will get used to the pressures of international rugby like game management, time on the ball and bringing other players into the game is by playing under those pressures. The more he plays the more he will get comfortable and will get a lot better.

Sean Maitland is an excellent FB, presently he is a better defensive back that Hogg and on par with him as far as line speed is concerned whilst I think Hogg has better acceleration. Lets not forget Maitland was a member of the Baby Blacks as a FB as well as wing and played most of the 2010 season in the 15 shirt for the Crusaders.

Its no good having a fully fit Hogg/Maitland/Visser if the don't get the service from the 10/12 channel...... and that the point I am trying to make.

But agree we need to give Weir a full 6Ns campaign at 10 especially as Maitland, Tonks are now injured.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Wed 12 Feb 2014, 7:34 pm

RuggerRadge2611 wrote:You really want a you tube video to cheer you up? Go check out Rhianna and Shakira's new music video  The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 1347041234  Drool

I have never wanted to be a bed cover so much in my entire life....
That video really, really doesn't suck.

Really.

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:13 pm

Shakira..... now there's a winter warmer if ever I saw one  heart heart 
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:35 pm

Anyone seen or heard much about the change for Scottish rugby group that has appeared on facebook and twitter?

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 10:48 pm

flyhalffactory wrote:
Majestic83 wrote:I don't think moving Hogg to 10 would make much difference to getting the back line moving. The issue has not really been backs so far in the 6 nations. Its the lack of ball they have had.

Sean Maitland is an excellent FB, presently he is a better defensive back that Hogg and on par with him as far as line speed is concerned whilst I think Hogg has better acceleration. Lets not forget Maitland was a member of the Baby Blacks as a FB as well as wing and played most of the 2010 season in the 15 shirt for the Crusaders.

Its no good having a fully fit Hogg/Maitland/Visser if the don't get the service from the 10/12 channel...... and that the point I am trying to make.

But agree we need to give Weir a full 6Ns campaign at 10 especially as Maitland, Tonks are now injured.

Yeah the back 3 need good ball but the 10/12 channel has not been the problem in recent games for the back 3 getting the ball. With a good forward pack winning ball for once our back 3 would get ball to play with but the pack have won barely any secure ball and when they have the ball to Weir has been very slow so not even having Hogg at 10 would make a difference.
Sean Maitland is a good full back and he is a great defender but his game is better suited to wing. His kicking is ok but not the best for a full back but from an attacking sense Sean's likes to roam around the pitch looking to pop up on the shoulder of players. He is free to roam when playing on the wing but doesn't have the same freedom to do that at full back.
The majority of his rugby at the Crusaders when he was at his best and scoring tries was wearing the number 14 jersey for them. The majority of his appearances at 15 were in the NPC for Canterbury where he was still effective but not to the same extent as on the wing. If you ask Sean he admits his favourite position is wing and doesn't feel as comfortable at full back.

I don't see the point in switching players who are excellent in one position to then move them to a position where they are not as good in especially when there are players playing that position already who are good and given a few games will get even better.

The main thing that concerns me about Hogg playing ten is his game management and temperament as he can get a bit hot headed at times and get overly frustrated. Was sent off for the u20s 3 seasons ago when he got frustrated and been a few other games where he has lost it a little just like he did on Saturday against England.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Wed 12 Feb 2014, 11:04 pm

Seeing as everyone else is putting in their team they'd like to see against Italy i will do mine too.
Pretty similar to the others for the starting xv slightly different subs.

1 Grant 2 McCarthur 3 Low 4 Gray 5 Gray 6 Brown 7 Fusaro 8 Beattie 9 Cusiter 10 Weir 11 Lamont 12 Scott 13 Dunbar 14 Seymour 15 Hogg
16 Brown 17 Dickinson 18 Welsh 19 Swinson 20 Ali Hogg 21 Laidlaw 22 Bennett 23 Evans

Drop Ford who needs either a rest or something to help sort him out, he doesn't look confident.
Pick the gray brothers together, Richie has been in good form at Castres and needs to play, Johnny is a different type of player to him and does the heavy close quarters work.
Beattie at 8 over Denton, Beattie is a more effective carrier and his work at the back of the scrum is far better. Dentons handling is still suspect and has had a few knock ons and lost the ball to turn overs something which Beattie doesn't do.
Cusiter over Laidlaw for quicker service plus Cusiter has the added value of more speed and can offer a good snipe and break on him which Laidlaw doesn't really posses. Means the defence will also have to watch Cusiter instead of commiting extra men wider out when Laidlaw is at 9.
Choice of subs
Fraser Brown, looked very good in the "A" game against England. Accurate at set piece and put in a lot of work around the pitch with carrying, tackling and hitting rucks. Very good player and would make an impact even with his limited game time at Glasgow, also played a lot at 7 and has the added value of those skills too.
Jon Welsh over cross due to Welsh being the better scrummager and also is in more form due to more gametime.
Ali Hogg as back row replacement. Should have been in the squad before now. 10 tries in 48 games is a brilliant record, can play 8,6 or 7. Is a leader, something which Scotland don't have many off and is in brilliant form for Newcastle.
Bennett over Taylor on the bench. Bennett offers something different and has a spark about his game, could easily damage tiring defences with his pace and skill. Can play 13,12 and has experience covering wing.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by doctor_grey Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:08 am

Majestic83 wrote:Anyone seen or heard much about the change for Scottish rugby group that has appeared on facebook and twitter?
Did Shakira post it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=o3mP3mJDL2k
Delicious!

doctor_grey

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:40 am

Majestic83 wrote:
flyhalffactory wrote:

Yeah the back 3 need good ball but the 10/12 channel has not been the problem in recent games for the back 3 getting the ball. With a good forward pack winning ball for once our back 3 would get ball to play with but the pack have won barely any secure ball and when they have the ball to Weir has been very slow so not even having Hogg at 10 would make a difference.
Sean Maitland is a good full back and he is a great defender but his game is better suited to wing. His kicking is ok but not the best for a full back but from an attacking sense Sean's likes to roam around the pitch looking to pop up on the shoulder of players. He is free to roam when playing on the wing but doesn't have the same freedom to do that at full back.
The majority of his rugby at the Crusaders when he was at his best and scoring tries was wearing the number 14 jersey for them. The majority of his appearances at 15 were in the NPC for Canterbury where he was still effective but not to the same extent as on the wing. If you ask Sean he admits his favourite position is wing and doesn't feel as comfortable at full back.

I don't see the point in switching players who are excellent in one position to then move them to a position where they are not as good in especially when there are players playing that position already who are good and given a few games will get even better.

The main thing that concerns me about Hogg playing ten is his game management and temperament as he can get a bit hot headed at times and get overly frustrated. Was sent off for the u20s 3 seasons ago when he got frustrated and been a few other games where he has lost it a little just like he did on Saturday against England.

Great read that Majestic and plenty of food for thought.

I don't agree that our 9/10 channel didn't get enough ball, I certainly agree they didn't get a lot but Weir/Laidlaw had enough of the ball to do more with it other than kick... both run with the ball on four occasions and made 31 metres but Scott only had the ball passed to him twice and both occasions he was in no space whatsoever hence he only made one metre all game (although a few of those occasions he didn't have a pass was because he was out of position or off the pace).

Now compare that to our English halfbacks only 12 passes and only 22 metres made but the centres had 15 passes and had enough room to make over 70 metres and both were in enough space to beat 4 defenders...... result Brown had 12 runs, and enough space to beat defenders time and time again.

Hogg gets frustrated because he is seeing the game unfold in front of him, he hasn't the state of mind just to loiter with intent, he need the ball and space to use his strengths.
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Feb 2014, 6:41 am

tigertattie wrote:Where is GC? Someone make him write a Italy vs Scotland thread! We can start discussing how we are "dark horses" for the game

https://www.606v2.com/t51887-italy-v-scotland-22-february The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 Conver11
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:02 am

FHF, doesn't that come down to the type of ball that the halfbacks are getting? For Scotland, it seems to be scrappy ball with little or no space for the midfield to operate in should they get the ball, particularly given that we've played tow defences that have blitzed when called for with excellent line speed? We don't seem to be able to put the same pressure on the oppo midfield so they get a cushier ride. I wonder if part of the problem is a game plan thing, given that oppo teams seem to know that we'll attempt to play a kicking territorial game, and also part of a Laidlaw issue, in that other teams know that he offers little or no threat at all with ball in hand, so can afford to virtually ignore him and drift as soon as the ball is out - just a thought

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 9:21 am

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:FHF, doesn't that come down to the type of ball that the halfbacks are getting?  For Scotland, it seems to be scrappy ball with little or no space for the midfield to operate in should they get the ball, particularly given that we've played tow defences that have blitzed when called for with excellent line speed?  We don't seem to be able to put the same pressure on the oppo midfield so they get a cushier ride.  I wonder if part of the problem is a game plan thing, given that oppo teams seem to know that we'll attempt to play a kicking territorial game, and also part of a Laidlaw issue, in that other teams know that he offers little or no threat at all with ball in hand, so can afford to virtually ignore him and drift as soon as the ball is out - just a thought

Agreed, any ball Weir has received has been very slow so by the time he gets it the defence are already up in his face and also covering the inside centre so they have no real options. This is due to the poor ball the forwards are giving and also the slow service Laidlaw is giving. Laidlaw against England was on average taking 2 steps with the ball before passing meaning Twelvetrees and Farrell could blitz up quick on the inside Scotland attack.
Agreed also that Laidlaw is not the quickest of scrum halfs and doesn't possess a good snipe and break meaning the opposition don't have to worry as much about him and shuffling defenders out into the wider channels as they know Laidlaw won't break and the ball will go wide. It is a different story if you have Cusiter on the field who is quick over the first 10m and is very good at sniping.

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by George Carlin Thu 13 Feb 2014, 10:07 am

Hogg said an interview with the Scotsman that he wouldn't want to play 10 at the moment, because he'd be in the defensive poopy all the time. Commendably honest.
George Carlin
George Carlin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:19 am

"1 Grant 2 McCarthur 3 Low 4 Gray 5 Gray 6 Brown 7 Fusaro 8 Beattie 9 Cusiter 10 Weir 11 Lamont 12 Scott 13 Dunbar 14 Seymour 15 Hogg
16 Brown 17 Dickinson 18 Welsh 19 Swinson 20 Ali Hogg 21 Laidlaw 22 Bennett 23 Evans""

While I agree, I do not think he will go there

Ford - I fully expect him to be in the 23 - although may not start after being pulled
Brown - will not feature - as SJ stated as fact that he would not play anything but 7 - which he is not the best for

I would not have the two grays together (YET)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 13 Feb 2014, 11:19 am

Sorry, just ran out of steam - really lost the will to rant :-)

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by Majestic83 Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:09 pm

Yeah i doubt that team I would like to see would get anywhere near being picked. I doubt Johnson will make many changes for the Italy game and if he does it will probably be the wrong players he drops yet again!

Majestic83

Back to top Go down

Post by Notch Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:12 pm

Asbos team looks really good. Chances of Scott Johnson picking Asbos team?

Looking forward to seeing the most in-form Scottish back-row forward in Europe at Ravenhill tomorrow night. Johnnie Barclay come on down.
Notch
Notch

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:14 pm

Notch wrote:Asbos team looks really good. Chances of Scott Johnson picking Asbos team?

Looking forward to seeing the most in-form Scottish back-row forward in Europe at Ravenhill tomorrow night. Johnnie Barclay come on down.

Why thank you, young man

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:22 pm

Anyone up for a mid 6 nations drinks in London?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Feb 2014, 1:37 pm

Yep Ale

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:04 pm

I am thinking Thursday the 13th -to discuss how we are going to win the last game and take the championship...

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:36 pm

Hmm, Thurs are tricky for me - I can't usually join in until 9.30-ish, by which time you lot are usually already pished an wanting to get home tae yer beds!

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by R!skysports Thu 13 Feb 2014, 2:40 pm

What about the week commence 3rd March?

R!skysports

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:16 pm

Wed 5th?

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by reallybored Thu 13 Feb 2014, 3:39 pm

Doubt we'll see it but I'd like

1 Grant (better player than Dickinson but needs to up his game)
2 MacArthur (Ford needs a break, and MacArthur deserves a shot, arrows may not be 100% but he'll graft and put himself about)
3 Welsh (tougher scrummager than Low, 1st choice at Glasgow)
4 Gray (perhaps getting out played by your kid brother will spark Gray Snr into life again, his height and mobility are big assets)
5 Gray (best lock we've got imo despite his age, calls a good line-out for club when required and looks very composed)

6 Brown (Bzzzzzzzzzzzzz)
7 Barclay (Bzzzzzzzzzzzz)
8 Beattie (Bzzzzzzzzzzzz)

9 Laidlaw (would like to see behind a decent pack, great leadership and his kicking is huge bonus too)
10 Weir (has put us in the right positions but again I'd like to see behind a decent pack)

11 Lamont (experienced, good defender and can be an effective carrier)
12 Scott (may not be match sharp but please just give him the ball on front foot)
13 Dunbar (one of the few in credit after first two rounds, want to see him get more ball)
14 Seymour (good back-up for Visser & Maitland, can beat a man and is lively)
15 Hogg (looks incredibly frustrated but playing well, more attacking ball PLEAE)

16 Ford (strengthens the scrum when he comes on and hopefully a bit of the pressure at line-out will be off)  
17 Dickinson (played well for Edinburgh and a decent back-up but want Grant to play for longer than 50 minutes)
18 Low (done alright but scrum has shuddered at times, off the bench he'll do fine though against 2nd choice LHs)
19 Swinson (tough on him but he's not had enough impact in last two weeks, would definitely add something off the bench)
20 Denton (harsh again but Beattie is a better player, but in the last 20 minutes his fresh carrying could be very useful)
21 Cusiter (if Laidlaw isn't firing get Cusiter on quicker and give him more of a chance, he'll change the tempo)
22 Tonks (covers two key positions and has done well at fly-half, composed all-round solid player)
23 Taylor (Bennett? but just not sure he's actually there yet, form has been iffy but I desperately want to see him in a Scotland shirt soon)

May be a young, inexperienced front-five but they're big enough and fresh, all have been doing the business for Glasgow against top clubs. There's plenty of experience with the Killer B's back in harness behind them anyway, plus both Grant and Gray are Lions.  A bit of continuity at set-piece can't hurt us and that's the main area we're struggling with, sort that and we could look a very different side.    

The bench looks stronger too, especially up front.

I think that team would do the job against Italy.  A mobile front-five, well balanced back-row, two good tactical kickers at half-back, outside backs with pace and power, plus two good footballers in Scott and Hogg.

Sadly I don't expect to see anything like that pack and fear we may see changes in the backs too. Cry

reallybored

Back to top Go down

Post by flyhalffactory Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:29 pm

AsLongAsBut100ofUs wrote:FHF, doesn't that come down to the type of ball that the halfbacks are getting?  For Scotland, it seems to be scrappy ball with little or no space for the midfield to operate in should they get the ball, particularly given that we've played tow defences that have blitzed when called for with excellent line speed?  We don't seem to be able to put the same pressure on the oppo midfield so they get a cushier ride.  I wonder if part of the problem is a game plan thing, given that oppo teams seem to know that we'll attempt to play a kicking territorial game, and also part of a Laidlaw issue, in that other teams know that he offers little or no threat at all with ball in hand, so can afford to virtually ignore him and drift as soon as the ball is out - just a thought

I agree with you totally.

Our half backs didn't have much of a platform, and when you then get that rare bit of decent ball you are then under pressure to force the play.

I probably would rather Cusiter in at 9 who is a better man manager,if we are to play Weir at 10.

If we are going to play Chris and wee Dunky then we have to play Beattie at 8, Brown or Denton down the blindside and Fusaro at 7
flyhalffactory
flyhalffactory

Back to top Go down

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:36 pm

George Carlin wrote:Hogg said an interview with the Scotsman that he wouldn't want to play 10 at the moment, because he'd be in the defensive poopy all the time. Commendably honest.

Yes unlike that besterd Johnson

Back to top Go down

The Scottish International Rugby Thread - Page 7 Empty The SRU Board Should Resign En Masse

Post by 21st Century Schizoid Man Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:45 pm

Everyone of the SRU Board morons should go for the mess (including the Mudfield playing surface) they have landed Scottish rugby in. Dodson, Lockhead, MacLaughlan, Thomson et al should resign now before they do any more damage. Before they go, get Iain MacLauglan to boot Scott Johnson in the danglies and tell him thanks for feck-all.  furious 

Back to top Go down

Post by cakeordeath Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:46 pm

It's happened. I always thought it would. He's cracked.

cakeordeath

Back to top Go down

Post by SecretFly Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:48 pm

..... hope the Herald is watching this.

This is a REVOLUTION!!!!  We AIN't TAKIN' IT NO MORE!!!  Be Warned!!!!

Oh, sorry....I'm not Scottish.......... Whistle ..................  but WE WON'T!!!!!!!!!!!

SecretFly

Back to top Go down

Post by Scrumpy Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:51 pm

Would you take Andy Robinson back now?
Scrumpy
Scrumpy

Back to top Go down

Post by AsLongAsBut100ofUs Thu 13 Feb 2014, 4:52 pm

Scrumpy wrote:Would you take Andy Robinson back now?

No, just a different set of flaws

AsLongAsBut100ofUs

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 11 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next